Editors’ Note: Feb. 8

weekender logo
Hannah Cooper/Senior Staff

On Feb. 2, the famous groundhog Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow, predicting that spring would come early this year. As we wait for that early spring, the Weekender staff decided to take a look at what returns and repetitions mean to us.

In a lighthearted yet heartwarming personal essay, staff writer Kristen Hull confronts her past habits through lessons learned in the 1993 comedy film “Groundhog Day.” And, inspired by the second home that she has in India, staff writer Priyanka Athalye wrote a personal essay about reconciling American and Indian culture while growing up in both countries.

Reminiscing about her past lived and dreamed experiences, staff writer Frida Schaefer Bastian explored how the two might intersect in the surreal sensations of “déjà vu” and “déjà rêvé.” Staff writer Sophie Kim, freshly returned from a trip abroad in Europe, reflects on her recollections of recurring motifs in art and architecture around Italy and Paris.

If nothing is original during these freezing, dampened days, it might just be worthwhile to take a look back. Or, at the very least — a look down to see our own groundhog’s shadow. Spring is near!

Contact the Weekender at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter at @dcweekender.