What are the aftereffects of a car accident?

You can never truly understand the impact of a car accident until you are in one. For that reason, few people understand what the aftereffects of a car accident are. Learn what you should expect and how you can cope with the aftermath of a car crash.

What should you expect?

It can take months to recover from a car accident. In fact, even a fender bender can come with a lengthy recovery period. Regardless of the scale of your accident, you can expect to experience the following:

1. Shock

Most people experience some form of shock after a car accident. The event might not feel real. You also might not be aware of pain from accident-related injuries. Typically, it takes some time to recover from the shock. In some cases, it takes hours to fully recover from the shock.

2. Car repairs

After your accident, you need to deal with car repairs. If your car is not safe to drive, you need to get it towed away. It’s likely that the insurance company will cover the cost of the tow. You should contact them, however, to make sure you won’t be on the hook for the cost.

You also need to pick a repair shop. Some companies send someone out to your vehicle to do an estimate on your damages, but other companies send you directly to the shop. Once they get an estimate, they choose whether to approve or deny the repairs.

3. Rental cars

While your vehicle is undergoing repairs, you might not have a way of getting around. Fortunately, some insurance companies will pay for a rental car. You might need to pay out of pocket until the company approves your rental car.

It’s likely that your own car insurance will cover your rental car. But you should call first to find out.

4. Injury

When a car accident occurs, the stakes are high. It’s common for victims of car accidents to experience injuries. Although those injuries vary in severity, they have one thing in common: medical bills. Even a small injury can result in high medical bills.

Some of the most common injuries in car accidents include neck pain, head injuries and knee trauma. In some cases, you can recover from your injuries in a short time, but you also might need months or years of therapy. The financial burden can be overwhelming.

5. Emotional stress

Physical pain isn’t the only effect of a car accident. In addition to suffering physically, you could also suffer mentally. You might experience anger, stress, anxiety or other symptoms. In some cases, individuals suffer from insomnia. The symptoms could be short-term or more long-lasting. In either case, they can affect your life.

If you have any emotional side effects from your accident, you should seek attention from a licensed professional. They can help you overcome any many issues that are results of your accident.

In addition to getting you the help you need, working with a professional also helps you seek compensation for your damages. You might not be responsible for paying for your therapy and other expenses. When you work with a Fort Lauderdale car accident lawyer, you can work toward receiving compensation.

If you have any questions about the aftermath of a car accident, contact us at 1-800-Injured. You deserve to know what to expect, and you deserve high-quality legal representation.

The Daily Californian’s editorial and newsroom staff were not involved in this advertisement’s production. For advertising and sponsorship opportunities or more information about paid content, contact [email protected]