Momo-more, please! How to make delicious Nepalese Momos

Pariswi Tewari/Staff

Some may only recognize Nepal as the small foreign country home to Mount Everest – but it is so much more than that. Nepal is a country that is copious in its sublime landscape, rich culture and delectable cuisine. One dish that serves as a strong reminder of home to any Nepalese person, regardless of where they are in the world, is Momos.

The Nepalese Momo is an authentic and enticing dumpling-like food that is distinctive in the warmth of its flavors. Everyone makes them a little differently, but nothing ever quite tastes as good as the hot, home-cooked meals you grow up with. My mother was kind enough to share her recipe so you can try them for yourself. (Bonus: You can also freeze them for later!) Here’s what you’ll need:

Ingredients

1-2 packs dumpling wrappers

16 ounces ground chicken or turkey

1/2 medium-sized onion, finely chopped

2 small shallots, finely chopped

1 tomato

1/8 bundle of fresh green coriander

1 teaspoon cumin powder

1/2 teaspoon garam masala (ground spice blend)

1 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger

1 tablespoon ground garlic

1 tablespoon cooking oil

1/8 teaspoon ground pepper

1/2 cup water

Salt to taste

Chili powder to taste

*Steamer machine preferred to cook dumplings

Directions

Set aside dumpling wrappers. Mix all listed ingredients together. Then, let the momo mixture marinate for about an hour. Next, add 1/2 cup water and mix well.

Open the package containing dumpling wrappers and wrap each momo into shape. Run a light coat of oil on the bottoms of the steamer to make sure your momos do not stick to the pan.

Put wrapped momos into the steamer for about 10-12 minutes to cook.

When the momos are done, the wrappers will appear translucent.

You’re done! You can serve this with tomato chutney (referred to as “Achar” in Nepali) or with soy sauce, if you’d like. Customize the dish to your taste and get creative with it! If you decide to recreate this recipe, we hope your tastebuds are having a great time.

Contact Pariswi Tewari at [email protected].