UC announces academic, research collaboration with Nanyang Technological University

Nanyang Technological University, Singapore/Courtesy

The UC system and Nanyang Technological University, or NTU Singapore, announced Feb. 19 through the signing of a memorandum of understanding that the two universities will work to expand collaboration for academic and research purposes.

The memorandum of understanding — a nonbinding agreement between two parties that clearly outlines each party’s roles – will foster a commitment between the two institutions to share knowledge with each other over a span of five years, according to a press release from UC President Janet Napolitano and NTU Singapore President Subra Suresh.

During the week of the announcement, Napolitano conducted a two-day visit to Singapore with her delegation “to explore new opportunities for UC to collaborate with leading higher education institutions such as NTU Singapore,” according to the press release.

“Both NTU Singapore and University of California are globally recognised for research, education, innovation and commitment to societal impact,” Suresh said in the press release. “By combining our strengths and by deepening our collaboration, we can magnify this impact to address a number of global challenges.”

The press release added that the memorandum plans to allow collaboration by increasing the number of faculty members exchanged between the two institutions as well as via “joint research efforts” in areas such as climate change, health, technology and innovation.

The UC system and NTU Singapore already had ties to one another before the memorandum, as NTU Singapore has participated in both past and present collaboration projects with multiple UC campuses. Moreover, about 180 foreign exchange students from NTU Singapore come to the United States annually, and about 175 students from the United States go abroad to “partner-universities,” according to the press release.

“The Memorandum of Understanding opens the door for UC to expand research and education partnerships with NTU, a leading university in Singapore,” said UC Office of the President media relations specialist Amy Weitz in an email. “We hope to create new opportunities for faculty collaborations and exchanges, as well as opportunities for UC students to study abroad at a top Asian university.”

Yao Huang is the lead research and ideas reporter. Contact him at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @Yhoneplus.