Everything seniors should do instead of getting a job after graduation

Jessica Doojphibulpol/File

Four years later, a few grey hairs, eternal debt and a graduation cap — congratulations Class of 2019 (almost)! Amid all the excitement and diplomas, you’re beginning to feel the weight of reality. Your parents, younger siblings and unemployed uncle are all beginning to ask the same notorious question: “Now what?” And even though you always respond with “I’ve sent my resume everywhere,” we at the Clog are tired of hearing that ー which is why we’ve come up with a few ideas of things to do after graduation instead of getting a job.

Move in with your grandparents

Let’s face it — even though your mom tells you that you’re welcome to move back home anytime, you’re not. No matter how much your parents love you, or how much they enjoy spending time with you, they don’t actually want you to come back home. Which is why you should go live with your grandparents! Unlike your parents, they aren’t critical of your inability to find a job because your presence alone is enough for them. And unlike your parents, your grandparents are no longer working jobs, which means they have no concept of the job market. And again, unlike your parents, your grandparents still think you’re the best thing to walk this planet. So move in with the grandparents because if anything, they can help restore that self-confidence you lost four years ago.

Hike the Pacific Crest Trail

It’s been a long four years, and instead of getting a job, you should go do something completely different, such as hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. And the good thing is you don’t even need to prepare because four years at UC Berkeley has equipped you with all the right skills to effortlessly take on that 2,650 miles up the West Coast. If UC Berkeley has taught you anything, it’s that you can withstand walking multiple miles a day up and down hills from sunrise to sunset, all while lugging a heavy backpack. UC Berkeley has also taught you how to go weeks without a sufficient meal, surviving solely on cans of soup and beans. And UC Berkeley has also taught you how to overcome any type of adversity, whether that’s navigating Dwinelle without a map or getting caught in a rainstorm without the proper clothing. So strap on your hiking boots and hit that trail because your parents can’t call to tell you to get a job when there’s no cell reception.

Get an international working visa

You may not have found a job in the U.S., but have you ever thought of getting an international working visa? It’s as simple as filling out an application for a given country, and the next thing you know, you’ll be on a plane and on your way to work abroad! Although most of the jobs you’ll find on a working visa won’t be with Facebook or The New York Times, your Instagram will definitely outdo those of your friends who are working there. And amid all those Instagram posts and “wanderlust” tattoos, no one will even question what it is you’re even doing abroad, and they most definitely won’t remember the time you almost moved in with your grandparents.

So Class of 2019, now is the time to forget about all those resumes you never sent. Now is the time to cut ties with that one kid who somehow is working alongside Mark Zuckerberg and remember that you and your UC Berkeley degree have endless possibilities.

Contact Emily Denny at [email protected].