Get your zen on! Easy DIY spa night ideas for your dorm

Recipes for body and lip scrub and golden milk latte
Jenn Zeng/Senior Staff

For students at UC Berkeley, midterm season is the absolute worst time of the year — other than finals, of course. Needless to say, cold and rainy weather coupled with exams doesn’t make things any easier on your stress levels. This quick and easy guide, however, offers three ways to get your zen on — all within the confines of your own dorm!

Honey face mask

This is quite possibly the easiest (and most inexpensive) face mask on the market! All you need to do is take 1-2 tablespoons of honey and massage it on your face. Let it sit for 20 minutes, then rinse off. The honey’s antibacterial and healing properties will leave your face feeling soft and smooth.

Pro tip: This honey mask is endlessly customizable! If you’re feeling a breakout looming, you can add a drop of tea tree oil to the honey before application. If you want a more soothing mask, add a tablespoon of greek yogurt. For an energizing morning mask, add a tablespoon of coffee grounds. The options are truly endless!

Golden milk latte

While your honey mask is soaking into your skin, whip up a batch of this delicious Golden milk latte! Naturally anti-inflammatory, turmeric will have you feeling renewed and refreshed. The addition of cinnamon will also jump-start your metabolism and provide a plethora of health benefits. Here’s what you’ll need:

• 2 tablespoons turmeric
  • 1 heaping tablespoon of coconut oil
  • A dash of cinnamon
  • A cup of milk of choice (almond or coconut milk works great in this recipe)
  • Honey to taste

In a small bowl, mix the turmeric and coconut oil. Microwave for a total of two minutes, making sure to give it a quick stir at the one-minute mark. Take the bowl out of the microwave after the full two minutes and set aside for later. Add your milk of choice to a mug and microwave for three to five minutes until it has reached your desired temperature. Whisk the turmeric and coconut oil mixture into your milk until no lumps remain. Add a dash of cinnamon and honey to taste. Enjoy!

DIY body and lip scrub

Last but certainly not least is this heavenly sugar scrub. Packed with nourishing and calming essential oils, this scrub is paradise in a jar. Here’s what you’ll need:

• 1 cup of granulated sugar
  • ½ cup of oil of choice (jojoba, almond or coconut oil works great!)
  • 5-8 drops of essential oil of choice (grapefruit, lavender and tea tree all make great choices. Choose one or mix them to create a personalized scent!)

In a bowl, combine your sugar, oils and essential oils. Once combined, transport the mixture to a mason jar. Scrub the mixture all over your body in the shower, or rub it on your lips after brushing your teeth in the morning! Make sure to rinse off the excess sugar crystals with water.

We hope you enjoyed this quick guide to getting your zen on! If the stress of exams is getting to you, turn to these DIY spa tips and enjoy a peaceful night in your dorm.

Contact Jazmin Cubilla at [email protected].