Things that should be secure at UC Berkeley besides CalCentral accounts

Samuel Albillo/Staff

Signing into CalCentral can be a hassle these days. The Duo Mobile two-step verification feels like too much work to access our very own student accounts. There are plenty of other things at UC Berkeley, however, that deserve that level of security. Here’s a list of some things that should be as secure as our CalCentral accounts.

Oski

That Bear mascot always seems to be sneaking around somewhere. It would be nice if we could make sure he wasn’t doing anything nefarious when we aren’t looking. That or at least put a bell on him so he can’t sneak up on people. Overall, there’s more that could be done to keep us safe from him.

Our self-worth

This school can grind a person up. Plenty of things can cause a student to feel despair and not feel up to the challenge. It would be nice if the school did more to help secure each student’s self-confidence.

The Axe

It would be nice to have some two-step security for this trophy from the Big Game. We already have one-step security in place, but that only comes into effect when we actually have the Axe. So, the first step is to secure the Axe from Stanford, then the second step will be to keep it safe.

Crosswalks

Crossing the street on campus can be a harrowing experience. Large groups of people, skateboarders racing down the hill and cars trying to squeeze through small gaps between crowds all make it feel a little dangerous. It would be nice to have something like a walk signal to structure the flow of people and vehicles, making everything safer and walks across campus more secure.

Our GPAs

A little more security for our GPAs is something all UC Berkeley students would appreciate. It might make students feel a little better if they knew their GPA was safe from their bad decisions. Other schools use grade inflation to protect their students’ GPAs, so why can’t UC Berkeley?

Let’s hope that two-step verification is a sign that the administrators will secure some of these things on campus. Until then, try your best to keep some of these secure yourself. Good luck!

Contact Zachariah Nash at [email protected].