South Berkeley landlord faces arraignment for alleged attempted murder of tenant

Audrey McNamara/File

Herman Little, a South Berkeley landlord previously charged with allegedly attempting to murder his tenant in June 2018, attended a preliminary hearing March 6, as first reported by Berkeleyside.

The defendant, equipped with a homemade silencer, shot his tenant Timothy Loving “multiple times at point blank range” upon Loving’s return from grocery shopping June 13. After Loving put his groceries away, Little allegedly “personally and intentionally discharged a firearm” multiple times, according to court documents.

After two bullets struck the victim — one near his chest and the other on his hand — Loving ran inside, according to the court documents. Little then allegedly followed Loving inside, unlocking the door to follow him and discharging his weapon again.

Loving fled down the street to a nearby cannabis dispensary, where police and paramedics arrived at the scene and transported Loving to Highland Hospital.

Little was arrested after the shooting on suspicion of attempting to murder his tenant. According to court documents, he was charged with “a felony, to wit: willful, deliberate, premeditated attempted murder.”

Upon searching the crime scene, authorities located multiple guns and a “home made silencer made out of PVC pipe,” according to court documents.

Loving referenced his ongoing trauma in the aftermath of the incident in an October 2018 interview with KPIX 5.

“Anxiety with too many people, people who resemble him, noises,” Loving said in the interview. “You know, people walking behind you and brushing against you, it kind of makes me a little jumpy.”

Loving also said the nature of his relationship with his landlord had been cordial, however, and that the shooting seemed out of character, according to Berkeleyside.

Little’s defense attorney Seth Morris told the judge that the case was “bizarre, strange and makes no sense,” according to Berkeleyside.

At the hearing, Morris referenced Loving’s criminal record and the victim’s “strained relationship with the truth,” according to Berkeleyside. Little also previously went to court in 2000 for “corporal injury to spouse,” which resulted in a $300 misdemeanor charge.

Little’s arraignment will occur March 22.

Contact Sasha Langholz at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @LangholzSasha‏.