Student Action drops UC Berkeley junior Gabriela Da Silva from senate slate for 2019 ASUC elections

Student Action has dropped UC Berkeley junior Gabriela Da Silva from its 14-person ASUC Senate slate for the 2019 ASUC elections.

As of 5 p.m. Wednesday, Da Silva’s name had been removed from the Student Action elections campaign website. Her Facebook campaign page has also been deleted.

“Gabriela Da Silva has been dropped from Student Action’s slate due to personal reasons,” said Student Action party co-chair Josh Wilson in an email. “She will no longer be running with SA.”

Da Silva, the Greek affairs director for presidential-hopeful Amma Sarkodee-Adoo, planned to run on platforms to improve recruitment and retention of people of color, as well as address discrimination and implicit bias in Greek life. She also planned to work with the campus PATH to Care Center to implement mental health programs, as well as with the campus Restorative Justice Center to implement healing programs for survivors of sexual violence and harassment.

Student Action, which has traditionally represented the Greek, engineering and Jewish communities, released its senate slate during the course of a three-day announcement period March 5, 6 and 7 and its three-person executive slate March 3. Da Silva’s senate candidacy was announced March 6.

Voting for the ASUC elections will take place April 8, 9 and 10.

Amber Tang is the university news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ambertang_dc.