Cal women’s gymnastics to honor seniors at tri-meet home finale

Rachael Garner/File

This weekend, No. 16 Cal prepares to take on San Jose State, Sacramento State and Illinois in a tri-meet to conclude the regular season. In addition to the Bears competing in their final meet before moving onto the Pac-12 and then possibly the NCAA championships, they will be recognizing their athletes who will be graduating at the end of this academic year: Sofie Seilnacht, Sylvie Seilnacht, Chelsea Shu and fifth-year captain Toni-Ann Williams.

Cal will soon be sending them off into the world, but before that, they have a few more meets and postseason goals to achieve. Williams will not be competing Sunday because of a tear to her Achilles tendon from a few meets ago at Oregon State — an injury she has since had surgery for — but she will be there cheering on the rest of the team.

Shu will be aiming to match or even exceed her floor score from last weekend, 9.85, and there’s no better opportunity to do so than in front of a crowd of Cal fans. Sofie Seilnacht will attempt to once again lead the Bears off to a strong start on bars and floor, while twin sister Sylvie Seilnacht will try to do the same on vault.

For Cal’s four seniors, it will be their final time competing in Haas Pavilion, and they are aiming to maintain their perfect home record this season to end their collegiate careers at home with a bang. So far, they have defeated Stanford, Arizona State, BYU and Washington and hope to add three more to the list. The odds are in the Bears’ favor, as they have gone up against both the Spartans and the Hornets this season and won with large margins even after having major errors counted in their overall score. The Bears have performed consistently better than the scores posted by Illinois, so there shouldn’t be many challenges there either.

Keep an eye out for freshman Milan Clausi, who earned the honor of Pac-12 Freshman of the Week for a third time this season, and Scholar-Athlete of the Week Kyana George. Clausi and George tied on vault last week to claim the event title, and Clausi also earned herself the floor crown again. These two, along with the rest of the Bears, look to repeat these successes from last weekend, while also making up for major mishaps on bars and minor errors on the other apparatuses.

Though this meet will not affect whether the Bears compete in the Pac-12 championships the following weekend, it is their final opportunity to have the home field advantage and to compete against relatively easy opponents. Come next week, Cal will be taking on some of the biggest names in collegiate gymnastics as the fight to qualify to the NCAA championships will begin.

Sloane Pace covers gymnastics. Contact her at [email protected].