Fun under the sun! The Clog’s starter pack for a perfect day at the Glade

Yiran Chen/File

For many, the Glade provides a perfect sample of all the different characters you can find on campus. From tanning frat guys to EECS majors cramming for their midterms, everyone can be seen on the Glade on a warm and sunny day. If you’re lucky, you might even witness a prankster setting down a nine-foot rocket in the middle of the Glade and taking off running in the opposite direction, leaving onlookers bewildered and a bit terrified (something that actually took place recently, no big deal). To deal with the ever-changing climate of the Glade, here’s a starter pack to ensure you’re prepared for every possible scenario! PSA: Fake rocket not included.

Here’s what you should bring:

Blankets…

…because a downside to living in a town with lush foliage is the moisture that accompanies the greenery. Even on hot and sunny days, if you don’t bring something to sit down on you’re bound to get soaked. So, make sure to pack a blanket, jacket or even a plastic tarp. Or, just sit on your textbooks — that way you’re sure to get your money’s worth.

A tennis racket…

…so you can fend off the Quidditch players from sending a Bludger straight to your face. It seems that wherever you choose to sit on the Glade, you’ll always attract these flying balls. It’s almost as if it’s magic!

A portable speaker…

…to show everyone you’re having the time of your life. Don’t forget to blast “Mo Bamba,” because how else are people supposed to know that you’re cool?

A Polaroid camera…

…for the ‘gram, of course. Bring your friends and make a day out of posing for cute photos!

A tennis ball…

…so when you inevitably see a cute dog, you can keep it entertained and make everyone else on the Glade envious that you’re the one hogging its attention.

FOOD!

… anything from chips and dip to fruit salad is welcome. Bonus if you bring carrot sticks, because the Glade has been known to attract people with pet rabbits.

Your textbooks…

…because what’s a trip to the Glade if you aren’t sitting in the sun having the time of your life with your textbooks sitting beside you unopened? But of course you’ll start studying soon, right?

Your trusty Hydro Flask…

…so you can prove to people that you’re in with the Hydro Flask trend, but also to make sure you’re hydrated. Time flies when you’re having fun, so make sure you remember to drink your water!

In the end, it doesn’t really matter what you choose to bring to the Glade. After all, this is the place for UC Berkeley students to let loose, enjoy a sunny day in the company of friends and forget about all the homework they have due the next day. But, if you’re ever in doubt about what to bring, turn to this guide and know that you’ve placed your trust in the right hands. And remember, when debating what to pack, it’s always best to leave your rocket at home.

Contact Jazmin Cubilla at [email protected].