Why you should overcome your Coachella FOMO with Queen B’s documentary ‘Homecoming’

Beyonce performing on stage
Wikimedia/Creative Commons

As Instagram’s favorite star-studded music festival makes its way into its second weekend, most of us are probably still choosing to comfort our wallets by staying home instead. Don’t worry though, there’s still a way for you to engage in the Coachella fun. On April 17, Netflix is releasing a documentary called “Homecoming” about Beyoncé’s iconic 2018 Coachella performance, so you can celebrate the festival and Beyoncé at the same time … from the comfort of your own home.

Netflix describes the documentary as an “in-depth look at Beyoncé’s celebrated 2018 Coachella performance from creative concept to cultural movement.” Last year, Beyoncé performed an almost two-hour set at the Palm Springs festival, and excitement over her energetic and powerful performance lingered in the Twitterverse for months. Beyoncé is well-known for her killer work ethic, and through the documentary, viewers will get a rare glimpse into what drives Beyonce’s hustle.

Aside from the performance, fans have also praised Beyonce’s engagement with students at historically Black colleges and universities, or HBCUs, after Coachella 2018. The artist brought on a marching band and step team made up of students from HBCUs during the performance, providing them with an opportunity to perform in front of a hundred thousand people. She also donated $200,000 in scholarships to HBCUs, such as Texas Southern University, Grambling State University, Morehouse College and Fisk University.

The documentary seeks to discuss Beyonce’s role as an artist and influencer in and outside of entertainment, touching on work, family life and political and social veins of society.

So, don’t scroll through Instagram pictures of Coachella wishing you could be there this year. Instead, celebrate Coachella and Queen B with Netflix’s documentary “Homecoming,” which will be released April 17.

Contact Pariswi Tewari at [email protected].