Man convicted in 2006 Berkeley killing

A Berkeley man charged with the 2006 shooting of a former Berkeley High School student was convicted of first-degree murder Wednesday by the Alameda County Superior Court. Bahsson Carl Smith, now 31, was found guilty of the murder — with personal and intentional discharge of a firearm — of Keith Stephens, who Read More…

Trial begins for suspect in six-year-old Berkeley killing

Six years after the death of Berkeley native Keith Stephens, the man accused of killing him has started standing trial. Opening arguments began last week in Alameda County Superior Court as Deputy District Attorney Stacie Pettigrew told jurors that defendant Bahsson Carl Smith, now 31, almost got away with murder Read More…

The city filed a lawsuit last week against the owner of the vacant lot at the corner of Haste Street and Telegraph Avenue.

City files lawsuit against vacant lot owner

Nearly five months after the Berkeley City Council voted unanimously to foreclose on the almost $641,000 lien for the vacant lot at 2501 Haste St., the city has filed a lawsuit against the property owner. Court documents list property owner Kenneth Sarachan defendant in the suit, which was filed with the Read More…

Roberto Rodriguez formerly worked at Pacific Steel.

Steel company sued by former employee

Berkeley resident Roberto Rodriguez remembers his first day of work at Pacific Steel Casting Company — a landscape of heavy machinery, loud noises and flying embers. The company superintendent took him to the front gate and said, “Look, Bobby, it’s a hell in there.” At the time, Rodriguez was 19 Read More…