Higher education transparency bill sent to governor

A bill that aims to bring increased transparency and accountability to California’s public higher education institutions was sent to Gov. Jerry Brown’s desk Thursday, following approval by the California State Senate.

Authored by Sen. Leland Yee, D-San Francisco, Senate Bill 8 was approved by the state Senate in a 36-1 vote and is en-route to the governor’s desk. The bill would require that auxiliary organizations within the University of California, California State University and California Community Colleges systems adhere to state public records laws.

Under the California Public Records Act, state and local agencies are required to make their records available for public inspection. Additionally, agencies are required to make copies available on request and payment of a fee unless records are exempt from disclosure.

“I am looking forward to the Governor’s signature of this bill and finally bringing true transparency to our public institutions of higher learning,” Yee said in a statement. “This law will ensure sunshine and accountability of the administration of billions of dollars within UC and CSU.”

Once the bill is received, the governor has 12 days to sign it into law or veto it.

Aaida Samad is an assistant news editor.