Female sexually battered on campus, UCPD arrests one suspect

Jan Flatley-Feldman/File
The Eucalyptus Grove outside of the Valley Life Sciences Building at night.

A man was arrested on the UC Berkeley campus early Sunday morning after allegedly sexually battering a non-affiliated female in the Eucalyptus Grove, a site that has seen its share of sex crimes in the past year.

At about 1:06 a.m., the victim was walking home through campus on the west bridge of Grinnell Pathway when a man approached her and asked for directions, according to a UCPD crime alert. When she began to give him directions, the suspect grabbed her groin area and breasts. The victim then screamed and fled toward Oxford Street where she flagged down a UCPD Security Patrol Officer who radioed the department with a description of the suspect.

Within a few minutes, UCPD officers spotted an individual who matched the description on the east side of Haas Pavilion heading toward Bancroft Way and detained 32-year-old Edward Mosqueda, according to UCPD Lt. Marc Decoulode, spokesperson for the department. The victim and a witness positively identified the suspect, who was then taken into custody at the Berkeley Police Department jail facility.

The victim was not injured during the encounter.

In April, the Eucalyptus Grove saw two separate incidents of sexual battery and one incident of sexual assault that occurred within the same week — two of which occurred within the same hour. There were at least five cases of sex crimes in the grove in the spring and two during all of last fall semester.

“I don’t know if I’d say it’s common, but it does happen there,” Decoulode said.

View Sexual battery on Grinnell Pathway 8/21/2011 in a larger map

Stephanie Baer is the city news editor.