BERKELEY'S NEWS • FEBRUARY 09, 2023

Join the Daily Californian!

Students bike to school in first annual Campus Bike Day

SEPTEMBER 11, 2011

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QylOMM_BRmc&w=560&h=345]

UC Berkeley held its first annual Campus Bike Day on Friday, intended to be a yearly event to encourage students, faculty and staff to commute to campus on bicycles.

Those rolling onto campus were greeted at Energizer Stations where they were handed free Clif bars and other snacks, and entered into a raffle for a free bicycle.

The event was largely organized by integrative biology graduate student Ginger Jui, an avid bicyclist who partnered with local bicycle-advocacy nonprofit organization East Bay Bicycle Coalition and local businesses to put on the event.

On Lower Sproul Plaza, members of the campus bicycle co-op, BicyCal, as well as the Missing Link Bicycle Cooperative, Mike’s Bikes and other cycling shops provided free tune-ups throughout the day.

“We’re interested in getting people on bikes, and making as many people as we can feel happy and safe on bikes that don’t have to be super expensive or super fancy,” said Devin Roth, a co-owner of the Missing Link.

In the evening, talks and workshops were followed by performances from local musicians on a pedal-powered stage. Shake Your Peace!, a Mission-District based folk rock band that began touring on bicycles in 2005 and were pedal-power pioneers, drew a large crowd with their beats.

The night wound down with a parade of bicyclists, including members of the Bicycle-Friendly Berkeley Coalition and many tweed-clad two-wheelers.

Contact Noor Al-Samarrai at 

SEPTEMBER 11, 2011