UCPD responds to attempted rape at UC Berkeley Extension

UCPD received a report Friday night of an attempted rape that occurred sometime earlier last week on Southside.

According to UCPD Lt. Marc DeCoulode, at 9:06 p.m. Friday, the department responded to the report of an attempted sexual assault that the victim said occurred either Thursday or Wednesday at around 10 p.m. in the courtyard of 2515 Hillegass Ave. The UC Berkeley Extension Fall Program for Freshman campus is located at that address.

The 57-year-old female victim was asleep in the bushes when she woke up with a male on top of her trying to take her clothes off, DeCoulode said. The suspect had also partially pulled down her pants and underpants, according to a UCPD crime alert.

The victim screamed, and the suspect tried to cover her mouth with his hands. According to the alert, the victim said the suspect punched her in the eye during the struggle. The victim then began to punch and kick the suspect, at which point the suspect fled the scene in an unknown direction.

The victim walked to a family member’s home nearby. The family member called the police, the alert said. UCPD responded and searched the area but were unable to find the suspect. The victim was not seriously injured during the encounter.

The suspect is described as a clean-shaven man in his early 30s with a medium build at a height of approximately 6’4”, weighing 150 lbs. He was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and black Jordan shoes with a white Air Jordan logo. The suspect smelled like he had not showered in a while, according to the crime alert.

Stephanie Baer is the city news editor.