BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 27, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

BAM/PFA designs unveiled

SEPTEMBER 15, 2011

The current location of the future BAM/PFA.On Wednesday, Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive officials unveiled the designs of the new BAM/PFA building, to be located on 2120 Oxford St., or at the corner of Oxford and Center streets.

BAM/PFA, which is currently located across from the Unit 1 residence halls, was deemed seismically deficient in 1997, so the campus looked to move the building to the corner of Oxford and Center where the UC printing plant used to be located. The project is estimated to cost $96 million.

The new building is expected to open in late 2015.

Funding for the renovation and move comes from a variety of sources:

Due to the museum’s status as a nonacademic campus unit, all funding must be gleaned from private sources, said Ariane Bicho, communications director at the museum.

In May, however, UC Berkeley Vice Chancellor Frank Yeary pledged $20 million in campus funds toward the reconstruction effort – an amount that would be awarded in the event that insufficient funds are raised from private donors.

Yeary serves on an advisory board for The Daily Californian that does not have control over editorial content.

Source: Plans Are Under Way For New Art Museum

The building will “repurpose” the old printing plant building, following are four schematic designs.

New BAM/PFA building from Center Street
View of new BAM/PFA building from Center Street.
Aerial view of new BAM/PFA building.
Aerial view of new BAM/PFA building. Note the outdoor theater.
Inside the new BAM/PFA building.
Inside the new BAM/PFA building.

Schematic designs courtesy of Diller Scofidio + Renfro.

Contact Mihir Zaveri at 

SEPTEMBER 15, 2011