Man allegedly demands money from an Oakland Safeway

After allegedly demanding money from an Oakland Safeway supermarket about two weeks ago, a Richmond man is being held in lieu of $100,000 bail on suspicions of second degree robbery.

Philip Taylor, 26, allegedly pointed a gun Sept. 3 at an employee behind the register at around 4:50 a.m. at the Safeway at 6310 College Ave., according to the Bay City News.

The suspect, who fled on foot from the establishment after being approached by a security guard in the area, fired a gunshot and was eventually arrested by police, said Oakland police Sgt. Holly Joshi, spokesperson for the Oakland Police Department. No one was injured in the whole incident.

Investigators were able to identify the suspect using surveillance cameras and community tips, according to the Bay City News.

Richmond Police Department and Oakland Police Department officers worked together to arrest Taylor at his Richmond home Sept. 6, according to Bay City News. Police declined to reveal how many officers were called to the scene.

Safeway made no comment on the amount of money taken from the register.

The suspect was booked at Santa Rita Jail in Dublin and began his arraignment Thursday at the Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse in Oakland. A continuation of the arraignment Friday yielded no plea from Taylor and his public defender, according to the Alameda County Superior Court’s criminal division.

Taylor’s arraignment will continue Thursday at the Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse.