Men’s soccer postgame notes

Michael Gethers/Staff

No. 14 Cal let four goals in as a Santa Clara team won, 4-2, at Edwards Stadium on Friday afternoon, taking home the Bay Area Classic title with it.

Stacking Up the Competition:

“It was a tough day at the office,” Cal coach Kevin Grimes said. “Results like this bring out learning experiences for your team.”

Santa Clara was coming off a hot streak with a win over Stanford and a draw against then-No. 6 UCLA. The Broncos remain at the top of the West Coast Conference standings after their convincing win at Cal.

The Bears posted five shots on goal, while the Broncos hit 13 on target. Junior goalkeeper Robby Gogatz may have let in four goals, but it could have been a lot worse had it not been for his nine other saves.

Cal’s New Rookie Standout:

Midfielder Seth Casiple provided the assist for the second score of the match, which junior forward John Fitzpatrick put away. Despite a frustrating afternoon for the Bears, those two are proving to be a lethal combination in the attack after previously linking up for a sublime goal against then-No. 15 Kentucky two weekends ago. The Cal newcomer has started and played significant minutes in the majority of the games in his freshman season. Against Kentucky, he set up his teammates for each of the three goals, leading to the thrilling 3-2 victory. And speaking of the 2015 class, fellow freshman Connor Hallisey scored his first goal as a Bear and the first goal of the match, which had given his side the temporary lead.

Looking Ahead:

“Our problem is the lineup,” Grimes said. “Significant lineup changes need to be made.”

The Bears will be heading across the Bay to participate in the Stanford Nike Classic. Next weekend has Vermont slated as their opponent. The squad will want to work out any kinks, as the end of September marks Cal’s opening game of Pac-12 play, against UCLA. The Bears will need to sort things out quickly.

Stay tuned.