Motorcyclist killed in vehicle collision on Interstate 80

A motorcyclist was killed in a vehicle collision on Interstate 80 Friday afternoon just west of Gilman Street in Berkeley.

At about 3:45 p.m., Timothy Walker, 33, of Vallejo, was riding his motorcycle on I-80 when he tried to switch lanes and collided with a second vehicle, according to Sam Morgan, spokesperson for the California Highway Patrol’s Oakland Area Office. Walker’s body was recently identified by the Alameda County Coroner’s Bureau, Morgan said.

“There was a motorcyclist traveling — splitting lanes one and two – and there was also a Toyota Camry traveling in lane two. The motorcyclist lost control, was ejected onto the roadway surface and was struck and killed by the trailer pulled by a big rig,” Morgan said.

There were no other casualties in the accident, according to Morgan.

The collision was reported at 3:49 p.m., and the on-scene investigation lasted from 3:50 p.m. until 6:10 p.m., according to Morgan. Because of the police investigation that followed the crash, all highway lanes except one were closed, and eastbound traffic on I-80 was delayed during the evening commute hours.

“(I-80) is a well-traveled thoroughfare,” Morgan said. “It is a very busy roadway because it is the main thoroughfare between the Bay Area and Sacramento, going all the way to New York. We get everything from minor fender-benders to fatal collisions. Collisions are always avoidable when drivers practice safe driving. The motorcyclist in this case was at fault and practicing an unsafe driving maneuver.”

According to a 1999 report by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 80 percent of reported motorcycle crashes result in injury or death. According to statistics provided by the CHP, from 2005 to 2009, the total number of fatal motorcycle collisions in the state of California totaled 2,229.