Two confirmed cases of mumps reported at UC Berkeley

Two confirmed cases of mumps and an additional suspected case have been reported at three UC Berkeley student residences, university officials said Friday.

The confirmed cases involved students living at the Clark Kerr residence hall and the Cloyne Court student cooperative, said  University Health Services Medical Director Brad Buchman in an email addressed to the UC Berkeley residential community.

Two students who are roommates have the infection at Clark Kerr and are in the process of being moved to a quarantined space in the Clark Kerr area, said Marty Takimoto, director of marketing communications for Residential and Student Services Programs at UC Berkeley. Takimoto said he did not know how many students have the infection at Cloyne.

There is also a “suspected case” at Cheney Hall in the Unit 1 Residence Hall that has not been confirmed, and, if the infection spreads, residence hall leadership will “come up with another option” to quarantine students, Takimoto said.

People born on or before 1956 are considered immune to the viral infection, which is spread through droplets of saliva or mucus from an infected person. But students born after that date need to have at least two mumps, measles and rubella vaccinations to be protected, the email states.

Symptoms of the infection include “fever, headache, muscle aches, fatigue and loss of appetite, swollen or tender salivary glands under the ears or jaw on one or both sides of the face,” according to the email.

Custodians at Clark Kerr will be cleaning common areas more extensively this week , and Takimoto said student should be sure to take precautions such as washing their hands, covering coughs and staying home if they feel unwell.