UC Berkeley staff, faculty to receive more than $8 million in merit raises

UC Berkeley will be allocating at least $8 million as part of a systemwide salary merit increase program.

The merit raises will be given to staff and faculty who receive satisfactory performance reviews and staff whose salaries are currently under $200,000. The systemwide program will cost the university $140 million in total, according to UC spokesperson Steve Montiel.

The increases will apply to approximately 4,000 non-represented staff who are eligible for the program and will cost approximately $8 million, according to the campus administration. The top 20 percent of staff who scored the highest on their performance reviews are eligible for a 3 to 6 percent salary increase. The remainder of eligible staff will receive a 3 percent increase.

The campus administration was not able to estimate how many non-represented faculty are eligible because the review process for faculty has not yet been completed. Eligible faculty will receive a 3 percent increase.

The average non-represented, ladder-rank faculty member’s salary was $135,000 for 2010-11, while the average staff salary was $60,000, according to the campus.

More than 80 percent of staff who received a satisfactory review earn between $50,000 and $120,000 per year, meaning that the salary bonus would be an additional $1,500 to $3,600 annually.

The increase for non-academic staff is retroactively effective to July 1, while that of faculty is effective as of Oct. 1, according to the campus.

The increase is effective at all 10 UC campuses. UC spokesperson Dianne Klein called the increase “a merit raise, not a bonus.”

The merit increases are part of the UC’s effort to recruit and retain high quality professionals — an effort that has been severely weakened by California’s budget crisis.

Wendy Brown, campus professor of political science, said the climate among faculty and staff has “demoralized” due to dwindling funding from the state. Brown said the salary increase is meant to address this climate.

“Will it do that? Probably not,” Brown said, but added that the bonus salary would nevertheless be appreciated. “Most UC faculty and staff salaries have not kept pace with inflation, let alone salaries at our peer institutions.”

About 40 percent of the money will come from state general funds and other core funds, such as student fee revenue, according to Montiel. Approximately 60 percent will come from other funds, including medical center revenues and contract and grant funds, according to Montiel.

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that faculty and staff would be ineligible for merit increases if their salary was over $200,000. In fact, only staff are ineligible if their salary is over $200,000.