Crime in Berkeley: Oct. 2 – Oct. 6

The following is sample of crime in the city of Berkeley this week, provided by the Berkeley Police Department.

Auto burglary – Acacia Walk and Spruce Street
A Berkeley woman parked her Nissan in the area of Acacia and Spruce on Monday, Oct. 3, 2011 in order to go running. She left her car at about 9 a.m. and when she returned at 10:45 a.m., the driver’s side front window was smashed and her purse and contents were missing. Amongst the items stolen were a wallet, CDL, credit cards, debit card and some house keys.

Auto burglary — 100 Seawall Drive
A Walnut Creek man parked his Ford Explorer at noon and returned to it at 1:36 p.m. after having lunch in the Marina on Monday, Oct. 3, 2011. He noticed that the left rear window was smashed. He further discovered that his North Face brand jacket, a black & gray backpack, Canon camera and a laptop had been stolen from the interior of his vehicle.

Auto burglary — Hearst and Euclid avenues
On Monday, Oct. 3, 2011 at about 2:30 p.m., a Berkeley woman parked her Lexus in the area of Hearst and Euclid avenues. When she returned to the car at about 3:45 p.m., an unknown suspect or suspects smashed her front passenger window and stole her purple purse, wallet that included credit cards, ID and cash and additional miscellaneous contents. The purse had been left in the car.

Grand theft (value over $950) — 2500 Block of San Pablo Avenue
The owner of a business in the 2500 block of San Pablo Avenue called BPD on Tuesday, Oct. 4, 2011 after a suspect stole an expensive necklace from her shop. She told the BPD officers that a male suspect came into the business that she owns at about 5:15 p.m. and asked to view a gold necklace. While she was showing it to him, he grabbed it, ran out of the store and got into the back of a unknown make or model white 4 door sedan. The car fled southbound on San Pablo Avenue. Several officers did area checks for the suspect car but did not find it.

The victim/witness described the suspect as, “An unknown mixed race male or Hispanic male, early to mid 30’s in age, 6’01”, thin, wearing a light T-shirt, blue jeans and white leather shoes.”

Auto burglary — 1700 Block of Fourth Street
A Richmond woman parked her Hyundai in a parking lot in the 1700 block of 4th Street on Wednesday, Oct. 5, 2011 at about 2:15 p.m. She left the car locked but when she returned approximately two hours later at 4:15 p.m., one of the car’s windows was smashed and her white iPhone 3 GS was stolen that had been on the front passenger seat.

Residential burglary via unlocked bedroom window — 1100 block of Hearst Street
A couple left their home in the 1100 block of Hearst Street at about 7 a.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 5, 2011. When they returned at 7:30 p.m., they discovered the front door of their home partially open. They explored inside to find computer equipment, jewelry and kitchenware missing. The unknown suspect or suspects entered the house through an unlocked bedroom window and stole the two laptop computers, checkbooks, glassware and other items. They appeared to have left through the front door. A BPD officer documented the investigation and a CSI arrived to process the scene for any evidence.

Park security check leads to drug arrest — South Aquatic Park
A BPD Officer was patrolling the area of South Aquatic Park, 600 Bay Street on Thursday, Oct. 6, 2011. The park is closed overnight. It was 4:11 a.m. when the officer noted a parked GMC pickup truck with a man and woman sitting inside. The BPD officer and a cover officer detained the couple for violation of park hours. The 45-year-old Oakland man had an active Parolee at Large (PAL) warrant and a crack pipe. The BPD officer arrested the man for violations of possession of a crack pipe, the felony warrant and initially providing a false name to the officer. The Berkeley woman was not arrested.

Stephanie Baer is the city news editor.