Panel between city, campus to discuss sustainability

UC Berkeley students and community members will discuss possibilities for town-gown collaboration on pressing environmental issues next Wednesday in the second of three panels in a series aimed at promoting a consistent partnership between the city of Berkeley and the campus.

As part of the Fall Panel Series, four speakers will converse about the city and campus cooperating on future plans regarding transportation, zero waste goals, energy conservation and housing.

Both the city and the campus have goals of achieving zero waste by the year 2020. For the campus, this goal is outlined in its 2009 Campus Sustainability Plan, while Berkeley’s Climate Action Plan enumerates the same intent for the city. The campus also has a goal to reach 75 percent waste diversion by June 2012.

The panel discussion will feature Timothy Burroughs, climate action coordinator for the city, Lisa McNeilly, director of campus Office of Sustainability, Jason Trager, environmental sustainability officer for the campus Graduate Assembly, and Claire Evans, lead coordinator of the campus Compost Alliance. The four will be in conversation with Jason Mark, editor of the Earth Island Journal, at Berkeley City College Oct. 19 at 7 p.m.

Last month, the panel series kicked off with a discussion on a student supermajority City Council district. The series was planned by Berkeley City Councilmember Laurie Capitelli and sponsored by several city and campus groups such as the Berkeley Chamber of Commerce. The final panel will convene on Nov. 9 and discuss the city’s late night activity.

J.D. Morris is the lead environment reporter.

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that the panel series would be held Wednesday, Oct. 12. In fact, it will be held Wednesday, Oct. 19.