Police search for missing woman with dementia

Berkeley Police Department/Courtesy

Berkeley police are searching for an 86-year-old Berkeley resident with dementia who was discovered missing from her South Berkeley assisted living facility sometime Thursday night.

At about 8 p.m., a staff member from the facility located on the 2600 block of Shattuck Avenue called the Berkeley Police Department to report that one of the residents, Mary Souza, 86, was missing, according to a department press release. The last time staff had seen Souza was at about 7 p.m.

According to the release, Souza left behind her walker that she uses for mobility assistance, but can walk without it. Staff at the facility do not believe she had any money with her when she left.

According to the release, Souza does not know her name and has wandered off before.

She was described as a white woman with white curly hair who is 5 feet 2 inches tall and 120 pounds. She was possibly wearing a red jacket and black pants, according to police.

Anyone with any additional information is encouraged to call the Homicide Detail at (510) 981-5741 or the Berkeley Police Department Non-Emergency Line at (510) 981-5900. Callers wishing to remain anonymous may call the Bay Area Crime Stoppers Tip Line at (800) 222-TIPS (8477).

Stephanie Baer is the city news editor.