World predicted to end, again, this Friday

Tony Zhou/Staff
Yoshua, a common sight around the UC Berkeley Campus, stands with his sign near Sproul Plaza.

Clutching a tattered and taped Bible in one hand and informational fliers in the other, David Temple warned passersby Wednesday at Sproul Plaza of the impending end of the world — this Friday, Oct. 21.

Temple — know as “Yoshua” by most of the UC Berkeley community — has made Sproul Plaza his soapbox for the past several months, calmly preaching the oncoming doom of humanity, with the occasional indecipherable yell. According to Temple, only 200 million people — just 3 percent of the world population by his own calculation — will be “saved” by God and transcend into heaven.

“God had to choose from rotten apples, because everyone is a sinner,” Temple said. “Every single one has sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. He had to choose two hundred million rotten apples almost to put on a list to put them in a new heaven and new earth.”

According to Temple, God stopped granting salvation on May 21 — another date the world was expected to end. Retrospectively, Temple said the date was the world’s spiritual end, and the beginning of the five month track to Judgment Day.

“It’s going to happen, it’s going to happen, it happened on May 21, five months ago,” Temple said. “We were expecting great traumatic things to happen, but it was a spiritual beginning of the end.”

Temple, who normally spends around five hours each day on campus, said he prays frequently that he and his wife, who he said he has been married to for decades, are part of the 200 million to be saved. The remainder of the population, who do not transcend into heaven, will perish peacefully, according to Temple.

“Because he’s such a merciful God, he’ll probably just put 97 percent of the world to sleep, and they’ll go out of existence,” he said. “It’s called in the Bible perpetual sleep. It’s sleep in perpetuity.”

Temple said the world will end at “probably 6 p.m.” on Friday evening. As people stopped by to talk to him, he said he wished to see them in heaven.

“He’s basically just a follower, but he’s been wrong before so I don’t know what he’s going to do if he’s wrong again,” said Daniel Schumacher, a UC Berkeley sophomore. “I guess there might be another day again, with another set of numbers. I kept telling him I’d see him on Friday, on Monday, whatever.”

Rattling off mathematical equations and various scriptures, Temple said that this Friday is the definite date of the end of the world.

“God’s going to burn up this universe, sun, moon and stars, and fold it up and burn it up,” Temple said. “It won’t even be remembered. We’ll be in such a different environment that we won’t even want to remember taxation, or the girl that rejected us, or ‘ah my heart is broken!’”

Temple alluded to the ideologies of Harold Camping, a UC Berkeley alumnus noted for his rapture theories. Camping is responsible for the calculations behind the Judgment Day dates, and Temple follows his prophecies.