This Week in Sound: D.J. overload and seas of cheese

While D.J.s and a Primus album don’t usually go together, the Bay Area’s music scene will feature both this week. As Halloween quickly approaches, the electronica concerts start popping up like like the walking dead. On Friday and Saturday, SF will play host to Skrillex (Friday, Warfield), and Deadmau5 (Saturday, Bill Graham Civic Auditorium).  How did D.J.s and raves suddenly became associated with Halloween over the years? Then again, electronica shows and raves have always been associated with costumes, nocturnal hours, neon colors and fog machines, so maybe the connection between the music and the holiday isn’t out of the question.

For those looking for a local show can look forward to Foxtails Brigade playing a free show at Amoeba this coming Sunday, as well as Primus playing at the Greek Theatre this Saturday. The Bay Area trio are known for their quirky, funky shows, and will be showcasing their new album, Green Naugahyde. The Greek makes it easy for those lacking the funds or transportation to an SF show, especially if you live on the north side of campus (or have generous friends that do), allowing for an easygoing —  more importantly, free — although distant concert experience. For those that have listened to the Greek shows from afar, is it something you would recommend to others?

Through the midst of all these shows there are still some albums coming out this week. Coldplay’s new album  Mylo Xyloto comes out this week. Can the band top their previous album, or will it turn into a digitized flop, or fall somewhere in between? Justice, She & Him and Jedi Mind Tricks also have albums coming out this week. The latest Jedi Mind Tricks album marks the first album without producer/DJ Stoupe the Enemy of Mankind. How do you think the album will fair without Stoupe?