Crime in Berkeley: Oct. 24 — Oct. 26

The following is a sample of crime in Berkeley this week, provided by the Berkeley Police Department.

Parole stop/search leads to narcotics arrest — Harrison and Eighth streets
A BPD Patrol officer was familiar with a 31-year-old male parolee who was living in a Dodge van in the area of Harrison and Eighth streets. He and another officer located the parolee’s van on Monday, Oct. 24, 2011 at about 12:30 p.m. The handling officer conducted a parole search of the individual and his van. During the course of the search, the officer found 34 individual wrapped pieces of crack cocaine (packaged for sale), cash, a cell phone and material used to package narcotics for sale. The officer arrested him for violations of 11351.5 H&S – Possession of Narcotics For Sale and 3056PC – Parole Violation.

Commercial burglary via door pry — 1900 block of Addison Street
Sometime between Saturday, Oct. 25, 2011 at about 10:15 p.m. and Sunday, Oct. 26 at 10:35 a.m. an unknown suspect or suspects pried the front door of a non-profit and stole two laptops, a Gateway and an HP. The BPD handling officer requested that the BPD CSI process the business for anything of evidentiary value.

Grand theft of bike — 2000 block of Center Street
An 18-year-old Oakland man used a cable lock to secure his $2,000 men’s Specialized brand bike in a room on Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2011 at 8:40 a.m. in his college. The room is designed for bike storage. When he went to fetch it the same day at about 11:45 a.m., the cable lock had been cut and the bike was gone. At the suggestion of the BPD officer, the victim would contact the bike shop where he bought it to try to obtain a serial number. If he locates a serial number, the BPD officer can enter it into the Automated Property System (APS) – a searchable database.

Theft and fraudulent use of credit cards — 2000 block of Allston Way
On Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2011 between 7 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. a Berkeley woman was enjoying time at a bar in the 2000 block of Allston Way. During the course of being there, she had hung her purse over the back of her chair. She later discovered that a suspect reached into her purse and stole her leather checkbook wallet containing cash, identification, a check and a couple debit and credit cards. She later learned that the cards had been used to purchase gas and other merchandise in Oakland. She called BPD for documentation and investigation and was advised to immediately cancel all her accounts.

Burglary via front door pry — 1200 block of 66th Street
A 62-year-old Berkeley man left his home on Wednesday Oct. 26, 2011 at about 4:45 p.m. When he returned at about 6:38 p.m., he discovered his front entry door pried and a checkbook and cash stolen. The BPD investigating officer requested a BPD CSI respond to the home and investigate the door and interior for anything of evidentiary value.

Hot prowl burglary via open, unlocked door — 2400 block of Ellsworth Street
On Wednesday, Oct. 26, 2011 at about 9:20 p.m., a 20-year-old said he was in the shower. He heard some sounds within the apartment, but thought it was his roommate. When he got out of the shower, he saw that his roommates Apple iPad and PlayStation 3 were gone. He called his roommate and confirmed that the items were stolen. A suspect or suspects entered the unlocked, ajar apartment door while one roommate was showering and took the items. The BPD officer requested a CSI to assess the apartment for anything of evidentiary value. The officer provided some crime prevention advice prior to leaving the scene.

Robbery via strong arm — 3000 block of Telegraph Avenue
A Berkeley woman was walking on the 3000 block of Telegraph Avenue on Wednesday, Oct.  26, 2011 at about 8:30 p.m. A male suspect his 20s was walking in the same direction as the victim. The suspect passed her then turned around approached her and grabbed her purse which was on her left shoulder. The two struggled over the purse until the strap broke. The suspect fled on foot northbound toward the Whole Foods store then out of sight. The victim told the BPD officer that she had bruising and pain under her armpit, but she refused medical attention at the scene. This suspect stole black leather with long shoulder strap, wallet, miscellaneous ID and credit cards. BPD officers checked the area and did not locate the suspect.

Stephanie Baer is the city news editor.