Crime in Berkeley: Oct. 31 – Nov. 2

The following is a sample of crime  in Berkeley this week, provided by the Berkeley Police Department.

Search warrant a success — 1500 block of Russell Street
On Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2011, at about 2:21 p.m. BPD Special Enforcement (SEU) Officers detained a subject of a warrant in the 2900 block of Sacramento Street. They had secured a narcotics search warrant signed by a magistrate for this longtime problematic individual and his home in the 1500 block of Russell Street. As the team of officers were getting the suspect out of the car, the suspect attempted to flee by pushing the officers while stuffing wrapped cocaine base in his mouth to swallow it. The suspect was able to swallow all but one individually wrapped piece of cocaine base, which was later found on the ground near where he was initially contacted outside the car. Officers were able to detain the suspect in handcuffs and bring him to a local ER for medical assessment due to the danger of swallowing cocaine.

A BPD officer sustained minor injuries during the struggle. The team executed the search warrant at his apartment and found a loaded 38 special revolver, packaging material, a digital scale and over $800 in cash.

When the 32-year-old is deemed fit by medical staff to be incarcerated, he will be booked by BPD officers for violations of  H&S 11351.5 – possession of cocaine base for sale, H&S 11352 — sales of cocaine, PC 12021(a)(1) — felon in possession of a firearm, PC 12316(b)(1) — felon in possession of ammunition, H&S 11370.1 — commit felony while armed, PC 243(c)(1) — battery against a police officer, PC 148(a)(1) — resist police officer and PC 135 — destruction of evidence.

Stolen auto — 3100 block of Lewiston Avenue
On Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2011 at 6:20 a.m., a community member discovered that his 1995 Brown Acura Integra four-door was stolen sometime overnight from the 3100 block of Lewiston Avenue. He had parked it around 9 p.m. the night before.

Stolen auto — Berkeley Marina
On Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2011 at 7:45 a.m. a community member discovered that his 1984 white Ford Box Van was stolen sometime overnight between approximately 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2011 and time of report.  He had parked it near the Olympic Sailing Club in the Berkeley Marina.

Carjacking via gun — 1100 block of University Avenue
On Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2011 at about 12:22 p.m. a Concord man parked his car in the parking lot associated with a business in the 1100 block of University Avenue. When he got out of his car, he was approached by a suspect who was armed with a pistol. The suspect demanded the victim’s keys. Another suspect (#2) followed suspect #1 and got into the front passenger door. Suspect #1 drove the victim’s 2000 green Honda Civic from the parking lot east on University Avenue. Many officers did area checks but were not able to locate the car.

The car description and license plate were entered as a Stolen Vehicle — Carjacking — in the Stolen Vehicle System (SVS).

Security check/trespassing leads to arrests for gun possession — 2200 block of Bonar Street
A BPD Patrol Officer was driving in the area of the 2200 block of Bonar Street on Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2011 at about 4:40 p.m. When two young men saw the officer’s patrol car, they quickly ran east into an apartment building. The officer drove to the back of the apartment building just as the two subjects exited the back door. The BPD officer detained the two, who seemed nervous. The officer eventually found a 40 loaded pistol in the trash can near the back door. With the support of other officers, the two suspects, a 23-year-old South Berkeley man and a 20-year-old Pinole man, were arrested by BPD and booked for possession of a loaded concealed firearm and an additional booking offense of felon in possession of a firearm was added to the Berkeley man’s booking offenses.

Theft of catalytic converter — Gilman and Ninth streets
On Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2011 at about 5:02 p.m., a Berkeley man called to report a theft from his car. He said he had parked his 1995 Toyota Previa at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2011 in the area of Gilman and Ninth Streets. When he went back to get in his car at about 9 p.m. that same evening when he started it up, he immediately noticed that the exhaust was very loud. Upon further inspection, he saw that his catalytic converter had been stolen.

Robbery via gun — 3100 block of Lewiston Avenue
A Berkeley man was walking home on Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2011 at about 8:50 p.m. north on Lewiston Avenue when he was approached from behind by an individual riding a dark colored BMX bike who demanded what he had. The victim turned to look around and saw that the suspect was holding a dark handgun and was pointing it at him. The victim complied and gave the suspect his briefcase that had an IPod, Blackberry, his wallet with contents such as credit cards, ID and small amount of cash. The suspect then rode off on the BMX bike south on Lewiston Avenue and then possibly west on Alcatraz Avenue. The victim was not physically injured during the incident but he feared for his life. Numerous officers did area checks but did not find the suspect.

The victim described the suspect as a “Hispanic or Black male, mid-teens, 5’6” tall, medium build, wearing black hoodie, dark colored scarf over lower part of face, riding a dark colored BMX bike and carrying a dark handgun.”

Theft of flat screen TV from unlocked car — 2500 block of Piedmont Avenue
At about 9:00 a.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2011, a woman left a unknown size Visio brand flat screen TV inside her mom’s car. She parked the car in the 2500 block of Piedmont Avenue. When she went back to the parked car at approximately 9:46 p.m. the same day, she saw that the TV had been stolen. There were no signs of forced entry to the Ford. The glove box had been “rifled through” although she told the BPD officer that nothing was stolen from that area.

Community drug activity call leads to drug arrest — Sacramento and Julia streets
A BPD patrol officer responded to a call for service on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2011 regarding a man selling drugs in the 3000 block of Sacramento Street. It was approximately 10:32 p.m. when the officer arrived to the area. The officer quickly saw the man described by the caller and detained him. The 48-year-old Berkeley man was active to felony probation and subject to search as one of the conditions. During the search, the officer located 1.22 grams of crack cocaine from his sock and a crack pipe in his jacket pocket. The BPD officer arrested and booked the man for violations of 11350 H&S — Possession of a controlled substance, 11364H&S — Possession of Drug Paraphernalia and 1203.2 PC — Violation of Felony probation as a result of a burglary charge.

Residential burglary via unlocked sliding glass door — 2000 block of Berkeley Way
A community member called BPD to report that between approximately 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 31, 2011, her residence was burglarized. An unknown suspect or suspects entered her home through an unlocked door and stole two laptops and two computer speakers.

Theft of wallet from purse — 2100 Block of San Pablo Avenue
An Oakland woman was enjoying herself on Halloween night, Monday, Oct. 31, 2011 in a club in the 2100 block of San Pablo Avenue. At about 11 p.m., she fetched her wallet from her purse to pay for some items. A little after midnight, she reached for her wallet again, and it was gone. The woman believes a suspect reached into her purse at the club and stole her wallet. When she began cancelling all of her cards, she discovered unauthorized purchases on one of her credit cards.

Drunk in public arrest — 2400 block of Ashby Avenue
A community member called BPD on Monday Oct. 31, 2011 at about 10 a.m. to report a man sleeping, passed out or drunk on the grass in front of a building in the 2400 block of Ashby Avenue. A BPD officer responded and found the man lying on the grass. The officer engaged the man in conversation and noted a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage on the man’s his breath, bloodshot eyes and slurred speech. The officer also saw that the man was unable to stand on his own or care for his own welfare. The BPD officer arrested the 58-year-old Berkeley man for public intoxication/drunk in public, a violation of 647(f) PC. The officer transported and booked him into the BPD jail.

Stephanie Baer is the city news editor.