UC reaches tentative agreement with employee union

The University of California announced Tuesday that it has reached a tentative five-year deal with the Coalition of University Employees — an independent, member-run labor union representing clerical employees — on wages, benefits and working conditions.

The tentative agreement would affect more than 12,500 clerical employees — most commonly administrative assistants, clerks and library assistants — systemwide, according to the press release.

The last negotiation with the coalition happened about five years ago, according to UC spokesperson Dianne Klein.

“We think it is a fair agreement,” Klein said.

Union members will vote on the proposal this month.

“If they decide not to ratify it, then it is back to square one,” Klein said.

Specific details are not available because of the tentative nature of the agreement, according to Klein. The union has the ability to negotiate the terms before the agreement becomes finalized.

This agreement follows several recently negotiated contracts between unions and the university.  The university has finalized agreements with the California Nurses Association, the Federated University Police Officers Association and the American Federation of Teachers in the past few months, according to the press release.

These agreements allow for most of the university’s union-represented employees to pay the same health insurance rates and make the same pension contributions as the general university employee population, according to the press release.