Crime in Berkeley: Nov. 6 — Nov. 8

The following is a sample of crime in Berkeley this week, provided by the Berkeley Police Department.

Robbery via strong arm  Bancroft Way and Shattuck Avenue – Suspect Arrested
On Thursday, Nov. 10, 2011 at about 9:15 a.m., a 29-year-old Berkeley woman was walking in the area of Shattuck Avenue and Bancroft Way while texting on her smart phone. A male suspect came up behind her and grabbed her phone from her hand. The victim demanded her phone back and began following the suspect. The suspect told her to stop following her or he would hurt her. A good Samaritan witness called 911 and BPD patrol officers responded.

A handling officer began doing an area check for the suspect and detained a man at Durant Avenue and Dana Street who matched the description that had been given. The victim positively identified the suspect as the one who stole her phone. The suspect had the victim’s HTC EVO cell phone in pink case in his possession. BPD arrested and booked the 33 year old Oakland man for violation of 211PC – Robbery.

Burglary to business  1200 block of Gilman Street
A Berkeley business owner called BPD on Nov. 9, 2011 at about 3:05 p.m. to report a burglary to her business in the 1200 block of Gilman Street. Sometime between the hours of 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday, November 8, 2011 and 11 a.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 9, 2011 a suspect or suspects cut a lock to a storage shed and stole 2 bikes, one tandem style and a half size small violin. (no make or model noted)

Auto burglary  1800 block of West Street
A Berkeley man parked his 2005 Ford Focus near his home on Sunday, Nov. 6, 2011 at about 11 p.m. When he went to use the car on Wednesday, Nov. 9, 2011 at 3 p.m., he saw that his car was broken into and an iPod and iTouch had been stolen.

Strong arm robbery — Channing Way and Ellsworth Street
A 22-year-old man was walking and talking on his iPhone 4 on Sunday, Nov. 6, 2011 at about 7:10 p.m. He told BPD officers that he was eastbound on Channing near Ellsworth when he felt two hands push him from behind. The victim turned around and a male suspect grabbed the victim’s phone. The two struggled over it until the victim got scared and let go. The suspect ran northbound on Ellsworth with the victim giving chase. The suspect got into a dark colored SUV and it drove off. The victim waited a couple hours before calling police.

The victim described the suspect as “a black male with short hair, in his 20s, 6’2”-6’4” tall, athletic build, wearing a white T-shirt and grey sweatpants.”

Attempted burglary — 2400 Piedmont Ave.
A man was in his apartment on Monday, Nov. 7, 2011 at about 3:20 a.m. He was awoken by the sound of someone trying his patio sliding glass door. He got up, pulled the blinds open and scared the possible burglar away. The victim described the suspect as “a white male adult, in his 20s, 5’9” tall wearing a black beanie and a green jacket.” Officers did area checks for the suspects but did not locate him.

Auto burglary via window smash — Second and Virginia streets
A Daly City man parked his Ford Escape at Second and Virginia streets on Monday, Nov. 7, 2011 at approximately 11:20 a.m. When he returned to his vehicle at 1:35 p.m. the same day, he saw that his driver’s side rear passenger wing window was smashed. When he looked around inside his car, he discovered that his Dell laptop, miscellaneous tools and a DeWalt brand angle grinder and drill were missing.

Auto burglary via lock cheat — 1700 block of 4th Street
A city of Concord woman parked her Honda Civic in the 1700 block of 4th Street on Monday, Nov. 7, 2011 at about 1 p.m. When she went to check on her car at 5:45 p.m., her door was slightly ajar and she discovered that her Garmin Nuvi GPS and power cord had been stolen from inside her car.

Stolen auto — 2600 block of Hilgard Avenue
A Berkeley community member parked and locked his 1995 black Honda Civic across the street from his home in the 2600 block of Hilgard Avenue. It was about 6 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 7, 2011. When he went to use the car about 9 a.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2011, he discovered that his car had been stolen. The BPD officer documented the auto theft and entered the vehicle description and license plate number into the Stolen Vehicle System (SVS), a  searchable database.

Battery (no prosecution sought) – drunk in public arrest — 2900 block of San Pablo Avenue
An employee of a store in the 2900 block of San Pablo Avenue called BPD after a male suspect hit him inside the store and left. It was Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2011 at about 1:40 p.m. when the BPD patrol officer arrived to the area. The officer immediately saw the described suspect staggering southbound on San Pablo Avenue. The suspect then entered the roadway into oncoming traffic and began yelling at motorists. The BPD officers detained him safely and the handling officer smelled a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage on his breath and clothing, had red/bloodshot eyes and could not walk or stand without imbalance. The victim of the initial battery in the store did not want to seek prosecution. The officer arrested the suspect for violation of PC 647 – Drunk in Public and a probation violation.

Stolen motorcycle — 1400 block of University Avenue
A Berkeley community member parked and locked the ignition of his 2008 silver Yamaha Motorcycle in the 1400 block of University Avenue on Monday, Nov. 7, 2011 at about 11 p.m. When he went out to use it on Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2011 at about 9 a.m., his motorcycle was gone. The BPD officer documented the crime and entered the motorcycle description and license plate number into the Stolen Vehicle System. (SVS)

Robbery/assault with a deadly weapon – pipe — 2400 block of Piedmont Avenue
On Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2011 at about 4:20 a.m., a 20-year-old male who is a student of UC Berkeley went out to get fresh air and take a break from studying. Outside his home in the 2400 block of Piedmont Avenue, three male suspects approached him from behind and demanded everything the victim/student had. When the victim told them he had nothing, the suspects punched him and hit him with a metal pipe. The BPD officer followed BFD Paramedics to a local ER where the victim would get a medical assessment.

The victim complained of pain to his ribs, had swelling on one of his forearms and scratches on both arms. In his statement to BPD, the victim said when he was able to break free of the assault, he dashed inside and told a roommate to call 911. The suspects fled southbound on Piedmont, the victim believes. Officers did area checks but did not find the suspects.

The victim described the three suspects as:
SU #1 – “black male adult, short black hair, dark complexion, 20- to 30-years-old, 6’3” tall, athletic build wearing a dark hoodie and blue jeans. Armed with the pipe.”
SU #2 – “black male adult, medium length dreadlocks, dark complexion, 20s to 30s, 5’10” tall wearing a dark color hoodie.”
SU #3 – “black male adult, short black hair, dark complexion, 20s to 30s, tall with a dark hoodie.”

Stephanie Baer is the city news editor.