Yudof meets with student regents about issues facing university

On Tuesday morning, UC President Mark Yudof met with Student Regent Alfredo Mireles, Jr. and Student Regent-designate Jonathan Stein to discuss issues including the cancellation of the UC Board of Regents meeting, protests against budget cuts taking place across the university and the recent use of police force at UC Berkeley. According to a statement from Mireles, he and Stein asked Yudof to issue a statement “reaffirming students’ right to be physically safe and secure when protesting on campus,” in addition to stating that the UC Berkeley protesters’ linking arms in protest was nonviolent.

Mireles said that though he could not speak for Yudof’s opinions during their meeting, he said he expects a statement to be released soon from Yudof about the issues discussed.

UC spokesperson Steve Montiel said the meeting included a “pretty nuanced discussion of nonviolent versus violent actions” and that Yudof would save any comment on or condemnation of police actions until after a review is completed.

“Of course linking arms is not violent, but part of the conversation was what is lawful and what may not be lawful,” he said. “Just because it’s nonviolent doesn’t mean it’s going to be lawful.”

Yudof has stated many times that he strongly supports the right of students to gather in protest, according to Montiel.

According to the statement, Mireles and Stein also expressed opposition to the decision to cancel the regents’ meeting this week and asked Yudof to provide an explanation.

“This is a uniform response that I’ve gotten from Yudof and other UC Office of the President officials, that the UCSF Police Department was concerned about the safety of students,” Mireles said. “This is something they seem to have agonized over for several days.”

Montiel said he did not know when Yudof was planning to issue a statement regarding the topics discussed in the meeting.

“There are a lot of things going on,” he said.

Alisha Azevedo is the lead academics and administration reporter.