BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 29, 2022

Berkeley ranks in top 10 most educated cities in the state

NOVEMBER 20, 2011

Berkeley is one of the most educated cities in California, according to recent data from the U.S. Census Bureau.

Berkeley is ninth on a list of California’s most educated cities — determined based on educational attainment data for residents age 25 and older in places with a population of 20,000 — with Palo Alto topping the list and nearby Lafayette ranked at number six, according to data from state Department of Finance reported by Berkeley Patch.

Approximately 68 percent of Berkeley residents 25 or older hold a bachelor’s degree or higher and 93.6 percent hold a high school diploma or higher. The city’s most educated age group is between 25 to 34, of whom about 75 percent hold a bachelor’s degree or higher.

Compared with the rest of the nation, California has higher levels of bachelor’s and graduate or professional degrees at 10.5 percent of citizens, but 6.2 percent of its residents have less than a ninth grade education, according to California Watch. More than 80 percent of California residents are at least high school graduates, three of 10 have a bachelor’s degree or higher, and 10.9 percent have a graduate or professional degree.

Contact Annie Sciacca at 

NOVEMBER 20, 2011