UC Faculty Associations condemn police violence

The Council of UC Faculty Associations has condemned the police action taken against protesters at UC Berkeley, UCLA and UC Davis, as well as one California State University campus.

The council called UCPD’s use of pepper spray at UC Davis and batons at UC Berkeley against student protesters “unprovoked, disproportional and excessive,” according to a press release.

“We are outraged that the administrations of UC campuses are using police brutality to suppress dissent, free speech and peaceful assembly,” the council said in a press release.

The council has held chancellors at the various UC campuses responsible for the police actions of the past two weeks and has called for an end to the violence. The continuation of violence can only “result in an escalation of outrage that holds the potential for even more violence,” the press release said.

The council has also called for a greater need to address the issues of rising tuition and decreasing state funding and have asked the UC Board of Regents to reconsider any potential student fee increases.

“We decry the growing privatization and tuition increases that have been the frequent — and only — responses of the UC Board of Regents,” the council said in the press release.

Amruta Trivedi covers academics and administrations.