Fire breaks out in trash can in Dwinelle Hall bathroom

Taryn Erhardt/Senior Staff
Firefighters place large fans at one of the entrances of Dwinelle Hall after a fire broke out in a bathroom trash can.

A fire broke out in a men’s bathroom in Dwinelle Hall at UC Berkeley Monday evening, forcing about 100 students to evacuate the building.

According to UCPD officer William Kasiske, UCPD and the Berkeley Fire Department arrived just minutes after the fire broke out in a bathroom trashcan on Level C of the building. According to Gil Dong, deputy fire chief for the department, reports of the fire came in at 8:28 p.m.

UCPD Sgt. Thomas Wing said firefighters ventilated the building and the fire was put out quickly. He said he could not comment on how the fire started but said that the cause of the fire looked suspicious.

Wing said the fire did not get hot enough to trigger a larger fire and did not cause major damage.

As of 9:10, the building was not open to the public.