This Week in Sound: Local beats and English tunes

As we all recover from  a post-Thanksgiving food comas and frenzied shopping escapades, it seems that the music scene has hit a lull week as well. While there aren’t many big CD releases this week (unless you’re dying for the new Trey Songz album), there are a handful of concerts to keep you occupied as we begin the final month of 2011.

This Wednesday, the Hemlock Tavern in San Francisco plays host to three Bay Area bands. Headlining are SF locals Weapons of the Future. The funky dance-rock band retains a garage-band vibe whilst still having the energy to blow away an arena. Heavy-hitting rockers Deeper and home-grown pop-duo The Cuss will be playing that night as well. If you want to check out some of the Bay Area’s local music flavors, the Hemlock Tavern is definitely the place to be this Wednesday — especially for only $6.

Clashmusic.com/ Courtesy

In less local news, Morrissey is playing this Thursday at Oakland’s Fox Theater. The English singer is known for his elaborate — and occasionally controversial — performances, and will be accompanied by Kristeen Young on his Bay Area stop.

SF’s Bill Graham Civic Auditorium plays host to two big acts this weekend. Guitar-heavy wailers My Morning Jacket will be playing this Friday, and the ambient yet punchy group The National will play on Saturday. Which of these many bands are you excited for?