Crime in Berkeley: Nov. 28 – Nov. 30

The following is a sample of crime in Berkeley this week, provided by the Berkeley Police Department.

Attempted robbery via strong arm/force — 1200 block of Bancroft Way
On Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2011 at about 7:30 p.m. a 17-year-old Berkeley community member was walking in the 1200 block of Bancroft Way. She told BPD officers that she was approached by two male teens, 17-20 years old. One of the suspects punched her in the cheek, while the other grabbed at her iPhone. The victim resisted the robbers, but one of the suspects grabbed her around the neck and threw her to the ground. The victim got up quickly and ran westbound on Bancroft to escape them. The victim provided general descriptions as the encounter was short. Officers did area checks but did not detain or arrest anyone.

Pedestrian stop/probation compliance check – Narcotics Arrest — Sacramento Street & Ashby Avenue
A BPD patrol officer was on her beat driving around on Tuesday, Nov. 29, 2011. She saw a man that she knew was on searchable probation at a bus stop at Sacramento and Ashby. The officer got out to engage him and ask how he was doing. The man said he was “staying outta trouble.” The officer confirmed the man was on probation and searched him. She found crack cocaine and a crack pipe in his possession. The BPD officer arrested and booked the 46-year-old Berkeley suspect for the offenses of 11350 (a) H&S – Possession of a controlled substance, 11364 H&S – Drug Paraphernalia and 1203.2 PC – Probation Violation. The case packet is forwarded to the DA for her review and charging consideration.

Identity theft/fraud — 1400 block of Hopkins Street
On Monday, Nov. 28, 2011 at about 4:20 p.m., an older member of the Berkeley community called to report that she has been the victim of identity theft and fraud by an unknown suspect or suspects. The woman said that she called Macy’s regarding her bill as she lost part of it that came via US Mail. A representative told her that someone had recently charged $900 on her account. Upon further research through her credit card companies and her bank, the victim learned that an unknown suspect or suspects charged over $450 to Old Navy and opened a WalMart account/credit card in her name. The BPD officer documented the crimes and gave her crime prevention advice and other related guidance.

Commercial burglary via window smash – 2000 block of San Pablo Avenue
An employee told a BPD officer that employees left the restaurant locked at approximately 3:00 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 28, 2011. When they returned on Tuesday, Nov. 29, 2011 at 11:00 a.m., a woman employee found the front door unlocked, a broken window and items stolen from the business. Amongst the items stolen were some brass statutes, cash and alcoholic beverages.

Residential burglary via window screen cut/unlocked window — 3000 block of Deakin Street
A community member called BPD on Monday, Nov. 28, 2011 to report a burglary of her apartment. She reported to the BPD officer who responded that she left between 10:00 a.m. and 12 p.m. and when she returned, her place had been burglarized. The unknown suspect or suspects cut a screen to access an unlocked window to get in. The list of stolen items includes a large LCD flat screen TV, TV speakers, ID and some personal checks. Other officers, as they routinely do, conducted area checks for suspicious activity, individuals, discarded evidence and witnesses and did not find any.

Auto burglary via an unlocked door – 1600 block of University Avenue
A Santa Paula woman parked her Chevy on Tuesday, Nov. 29, 2011 at about 9:30 p.m. in the 1600 block of University Avenue. On Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 11:00 a.m., when she returned to her car, she saw that the windows were rolled down and a cardboard box with prescription glasses, a GPS and a cell phone charger were stolen. She reported the crime to BPD later in the day. A BPD CSI responded to fingerprint the car.

Auto burglary via window smashes – 2600 block of Dana Street
A Berkeley woman parked her Honda in the 2600 block of Dana Street at 5:00 a.m. on Monday, Nov. 28, 2011. She told the BPD officer that responded that she just got back in town and was tired so she left several bags in the car. When the woman returned to her vehicle around 9:20 a.m. she found the rear window on the driver side completely smashed. The BPD officer listed the stolen items to include bag containing miscellaneous women’s clothing, thumb and medications.

Attempted residential burglary via screen/window Smash — 1700 block of Spruce Street  
A BPD officer was dispatched to a possible burglary in progress on Thursday, Nov. 24, 2011 at 5:28 a.m. When the officer arrived to the reported apartment, he found the back door screen torn and the glass broken. No suspect or suspects were able to get in. A BPD CSI arrived a took photographs of the damage. Officers did area checks but did not find any suspicious individuals in the area.

Residential burglary via window smash — 1800 block of Arch
A community member called on Thursday, Nov. 24, 2011 at about 5:43 a.m. and said that he heard vibrations on the fire escape of his apartment building then heard a window smash in an adjacent unit. BPD officers arrived and created a perimeter around the building as they believed that the suspect or suspects might still be inside the apartment. A team of officers then entered the building, searched the apartment in question which has a west facing window smashed out. Officers also checked all the common areas of the building and did not locate any suspect(s). The resident was not home, so the BPD officer secured the window and left a business card instructing the resident to call if he/she found anything missing. A BPD CSI responded later to process the apartment for anything of evidentiary value.

Residential burglary via unlocked/forced window – One Arrested – 2300 block of Hearst Street
A community member from the 2300 block of Hearst Street called BPD 911 at about 5:30 a.m. on Thursday, Nov. 24, 2011 after he heard a crash above his apartment. He then noted what sounded like someone walking around upstairs and the steps sounded much louder than his regular neighbor. He believed that the unit was being burglarized. BPD officers arrived swiftly and the male suspect ran up the stairs to the roof. Officers challenged the burglar at gunpoint as he stood on the roof, but the burglar jumped. The burglar landed on another roof and then jumped to an adjacent yard. Officers arrested him in that yard. The white male adult, 24 years of Oakland was arrested and booked for 459PC – Burglary, 466PC – possession of burglary tools, 496PC – possession of stolen property, 148 (a) (1) – Resisting/Obstructing a Peace Officer and 1203.2 PC – Probation violation. Prior to booking, BFD paramedics transported him to a local trauma center for medical evaluation to be “fit for incarceration.” The investigation of whether he is connected to the other aforementioned burglaries is ongoing. He did not sustained any life threatening or major injuries.