After Nov. 18 fire, Telegraph Avenue area now a disaster zone

Tony Zhou/Staff
The fire-damaged building at the corner of Haste Street and Telegraph Avenue during demolition.

Those affected by the Nov. 18 fire that destroyed a building on the corner of Haste Street and Telegraph Avenue are eligible for low-interest federal disaster loans after the area was deemed a disaster zone Wednesday.

The area was declared a disaster zone by the U.S. Small Business Administration, meaning that homeowners can apply for loans of up to $200,000 to repair or replace damaged real estate, and homeowners and renters can get loans for up to $40,000 to restore damaged personal property, according to a Wednesday press release from the administration.

The fire, which broke out around 9 p.m. on Nov. 18, ravaged a five-story building at 2441 Haste St., leaving little remaining of the  apartment complex which spanned the upper four floors, known as the Sequoia Apartments. Raleigh’s Bar & Grill and Cafe Intermezzo, which were on the ground floor, were also destroyed. All 68 tenants of the building, many of whom were students, have had to find new housing for the time being.

Starting Thursday, representatives from the administration will be in Berkeley to issue loan applications, according to the release.

Read the full release and get more details here.

Soumya Karlamangla is the city news editor.