Crime in Berkeley: Dec. 25 – Dec. 28

The following is a sample of crime in Berkeley this week, provided by the Berkeley Police Department.

Collision with Bus turns into DUI Arrest – San Pablo Avenue and Cedar Street

A 24-year -old Berkeley man collided with a bus by rear ending it at San Pablo Avenue and Cedar Street. It was Sunday, Dec. 25, 2011 at approximately 2:30 a.m. BPD officers responded, confirmed the collision and checked the welfare of both drivers. Neither the driver of the bus or driver of the black Ford truck was injured. The BPD case officer initiated a Driving Under the Influence (DUI) investigation as the driver of the truck displayed objective symptoms of alcoholic beverage intoxication. The driver was not successful during the Field Sobriety Tests at the scene and on a preliminary breath test, he registered a BAC (Blood Alcohol Content) of .185. The BPD officer arrested him for 23152(a) CVC – Driving Under The Influence and booked him into the BPD Jail.

Community Complaints/Drug Activity – Arrest – 2700 block of Sacramento Street

City of Berkeley Police Department (BPD) Drug Task Force Officers (DTF) had received community complaints regarding an address in the 2700 block of Sacramento Street. On Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2011 at about 5:53 p.m., they did a knock and talk and the woman resident had two warrants. DTFs officer arrested her on the warrants. During a search incident to her arrest, they discovered a crack pipe in her pocket. The 58-year-old woman was transported and booked into the BPD Jail for violation of H&S 11364 – Possession of Drug Paraphernalia and the warrants.

*Hot Prowl Residential Burglary – Interrupted – 2400 Block of Fulton Street

On Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2011 at about 1:37 a.m., a resident awoke as two figures fled on foot out the front door. The residents told responding BPD officers that they left the front door unlocked. The unidentified suspects entered and took a Toshiba laptop before a resident woke and the two were scared off. The witness/resident described the suspects as “two (2) unknown race males, unknown ages, one was about 5’7” wearing a hoodie, the other was shorter. Nothing further.”

(* a hot prowl burglary is a term used to describe a burglary that happens when someone is home but no force or fear is used as in a robbery)

Traffic Enforcement Stop Leads to Warrant Arrest – Prince and California Streets

BPD Drug Task Force officers made a traffic enforcement stop at Prince and California streets of a car for a stop sign violation -CVC22450(a) on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2011 at about 8:15 p.m. Officers did a records check of the driver which revealed a $40K warrant from City of Antioch PD and that he had a suspended license. DTF officers arrested the 30-year-old Oakland man on the warrant and booked him into the BPD Jail.

Welfare Check of Possible DUI Driver turns to Arrest – 1700 block of Solano Avenue 

A community member called on Wednesday, Dec. 28, 2011 at about 1:00 a.m. to report a dark car possibly driving under the influence westbound on Solano Avenue near Colusa. The responding BPD officer found a black BMW pulled over in the 1700 block of Solano Avenue with the 32-year-old San Jose man in the driver’s seat, engine running and the driver vomiting out of the open driver’s door. He was the only person in the car. The officer immediately noted that he was impaired. The driver could not successfully complete Field Sobriety Tests (FSTs) and continued to vomit periodically throughout the investigation. The driver agreed to a blood test. Based on the driver’s objective symptoms of impairment, failing the FSTs, the BPD officer arrested him for 23152(a) CVC – Driving Under The Influence and booked him into the BPD Jail.

Sarah Burns is the assistant city news editor.