BERKELEY'S NEWS • DECEMBER 09, 2022

Studying for finals? Read our puzzles special instead!

Winter break news in review

|

Managing Editor

JANUARY 16, 2012

The Daily Californian stopped publishing in print after classes ended Dec. 2. until the spring semester classes started Jan. 17.  Aggregated below is some of our coverage of the news that occurred in that time period. Click on the titles to read the full stories and browse through the news section on our website for more.

Editors recap news that occurred over Winter Break by The Daily Californian

Dec. 10: Strawberry Creek oil spill

An oil spill in the basement of Stanley Hall on the UC Berkeley campus released more than 1,500 gallons of oil, with as many as hundreds entering Strawberry Creek, which flows through campus.

Dec. 14: UC Berkeley unveils new financial aid plan for middle-income families

A new financial aid plan will cap parent contribution at no more than 15 percent of gross family income for those making between $80,000 and $140,000 annually.

Dec. 21: Protesters leave Occupy Berkeley encampment following eviction notice

The Occupy Berkeley encampment at Martin Luther King Jr. Civic Center Park recieved an eviction notice that led to the clearing of the camp, dropping the number of tents from nearly 100 to a handful.

Dec. 21: UC Berkeley announces it will change email interface to Google

CalMail — the current campus email system which experienced several outages recently — and CalAgenda will be used until the shift occurs, which is set to take place during 2012.

Dec. 27: David Crane loses post on UC Board of Regents

Crane, who was a source of controversy because of his position on collective bargaining for public employees, was not approved by the state senate within a year of his appointment.

Jan. 5: Brown announces 2012-13 state budget, which could cut $200 million from UC

Brown’s January budget proposal provides an ongoing $90 million general fund increase to the UC, but $200 million could be cut if voters do not approve his tax measure in November.

Jan. 6: State DREAM Act repeal effort fails to get enough signatures for ballot

Supporters of overturning the act needed to gather 500,000 signatures in order to replace a repeal referendum before the voters in November. 447,514 signatures were acquired.

Jan. 7: Berkeley City Clerk Deanna Despain dies

37-year-old Despain was discovered by her husband at about 2 a.m. Despain had apparently fallen down a flight of stairs but the official cause of death has not yet been finalized as the investigation is still open.

Jan. 10: UC President Mark Yudof requests all UC campuses become smoke-free

UC President Mark Yudof is requesting the entire University of California system become smoke-free over the next two years.

Jan. 11: UC Berkeley faculty help discover smallest solar system

A NASA mission led in part by UC Berkeley faculty discovered the smallest solar system, made up of three planets about 120 million light years away. The planets are believed to have a rocky terrain that is more likely to support life but are too hot to have liquid water.

J.D. Morris and Soumya Karlamangla are the news editors.

JANUARY 17, 2012