Dorm room burglarized while residents asleep

A residence hall dorm room at UC Berkeley was burglarized early Monday while its occupants were sleeping, according to police.

Sometime between midnight and 3:00 a.m., a burglar entered the Deutsch Hall dorm room while its two residents were sleeping, according to a UCPD crime alert. The residents were alerted to the “hot prowl” burglary when they were awoken by a floormate at around 3:00 a.m. who noticed their door was open, according to the alert. They were not injured during the incident but noticed various electronics, including an iPod Touch and a MacBook Pro, and cash had been taken from the dormitory, according to UCPD crime logs.

“A ‘Hot Prowl’ is a burglary when a subject enters, or attempts to enter a residence while someone is there,” the alert reads. “A hot prowl burglary is dangerous because of the possible confrontation between the subject and victim.”

Though UCPD searched the area following the incident, they were not able to locate “anyone suspicious,” according to the alert. The alert claims the suspect entered into the dorm room through an unlocked door and advises that people lock their doors and windows.

According to UCPD Lt. Eric Tejada, spokesperson for the department, hot prowl burglaries are rare, particularly in the residence halls.

Berkeley Police Department reported a hot prowl burglary Dec. 27 in the 2400 block of Fulton Street that was interrupted when a resident woke up during the burglary and scared the two suspects off, though not before the suspects allegedly took a laptop. The victims in that incident also told officers they had left their front door unlocked.

Sarah Burns is the assistant city news editor.