Juricova wins conference award with big weekend

Jana Juricova may have silenced doubts about her “disappointing” fall tournament season with a dominant curtain raiser in the Cal Winter Invitational. Juricova earned the Bank of the West Pac-12 Player of the Week for the week of Jan. 9-15.

Juricova was matched up against the top singles’ players from Cal Poly, Fresno State and Saint Mary’s and defended her home court with ease. Her match against Marianne Jodoin of Fresno State may have epitomized the weekend’s success. Jodoin was the most prestigious opponent in the tournament, as the fiery French Canadian won the Western Athletic Conference Player of the Year last season. Juricova dismissed the Québécois with ease, 6-0, 6-1, en route to the tournament’s singles title.

Among the changes for the Cal team this spring is the addition of a new freshman. Laura Posylkin joins the squad after a distinguished high school career at San Marin High School in Novato, less than 40 miles away from Berkeley.

Posylkin tried out for the team in the fall, and she worked with the coaching staff to improve her game to a level of her liking.

“She has a great personality and fits in well with the group,” coach Amanda Augustus said.

Augustus indicated that Posylkin adds to the Bears’ depth, which has been a focal point of the season, and the California native may contribute as the spring season rolls on.