ASUC Senate approves executive stipends

The ASUC executive officers and their chiefs of staff received approval from the ASUC Senate’s finance committee to receive $13,750 for their work last semester — only half the money they will receive from student fees as part of their yearly stipend.

After suspending bylaws last semester to allow late stipend reports to be submitted, the committee met Monday to approve stipends — which must also be approved by the senate — based on semester job reports submitted by the offices. Executive officers each receive a $4,000 yearly stipend and their chiefs of staff receive a $1,500 stipend each.

ASUC President Vishalli Loomba  listed month-to-month activity on various campus issues, including work on the campus cost-cutting Operational Excellence initiative and the Lower Sproul Plaza renovation project.

Executive Vice President Chris Alabastro divided his list by topic, including recruiting over 270 student government interns, working on the ASUC’s new website and chairing weekly senate meetings.

Student Advocate Samar Shah  — whose office represents students or groups involved in a dispute with the campus — reported participating on the Chancellor’s Advisory Committee on Student Fees and following up on implementing changes to the campus Student Code of Conduct, among other duties.

This year, the president, executive vice president and the academic affairs vice president will each receive a total of $10,000 for their operations, while the student advocate and the external affairs vice president will receive $10,500 and $13,770, respectively. For Loomba’s office, this leaves a $4,500 budget after stipends are subtracted.

In the past, some ASUC officials recycled their stipends back into their office operations. However, Independent Senator Nairi Shirinian, chair of the finance committee, said it is not known if executives will recycle their stipends this year.

The ASUC’s bylaws state that if the committee does not receive a report prior to its second to last meeting of each semester, no stipend may be disbursed for that semester.

Most stipend reports were turned in on time, according to Shirinian. However, five reports which outlined stipends for the external affairs vice president and chief of staff, academic affairs vice president and chief of staff and the ASUC webmaster were not turned in until Monday night, when the meeting took place, Shirinian said.

The finance committee passed all stipends except for two — the academic affairs chief of staff and the ASUC marketing and communications director — which are awaiting a separate meeting to discuss their positions in more detail.

Each executive office cannot allocate more than 15 percent — typically $1,500 of a $10,000 budget — for non-executive stipends, according to the bylaws. Each executive officer may receive a maximum of $4,000, or five percent, of their office budget for their stipend.

Chloe Hunt is the lead student government reporter.