Skateboarder in ‘grave condition’ following collision with car

A car was involved in a collision with a skateboarder near the Berkeley Hills Monday evening, leaving the skateboarder in “grave condition,” according to police.

The collision, which occurred near the intersection of Marin and Tulare avenues, was called in to the Berkeley Police Department at about 7:05 p.m., according to Sgt. Mary Kusmiss, spokesperson for the department.

The 18-year-old male skateboarder — who is a Berkeley resident, according to Kusmiss — was “seriously injured” and taken to a local trauma center by Berkeley Fire Department paramedics following the incident, according to Kusmiss.

“It is too early in the investigation of this collision investigation to determine … Primary Collision Factor which is assigned to a party and in most cases attributes fault to the party,” Kusmiss said in an email.

Email updates that Kusmiss sent out Tuesday in the late afternoon said that the driver was a 54-year-old male Berkeley resident driving a Prius and that “alcohol does not appear to be a factor in this collision.”

The driver was headed eastbound on Marin and making a turn northbound onto Tulare when the accident occurred, according to Kusmiss. The skateboarder was traveling west on Marin.

View Skateboarder-car collision 1.30.12 in a larger map

Sarah Burns is the assistant city news editor.