UC Berkeley lecturer, former governor hosts political talk show

Creative Commons/Center for American Progress Action Fund/Courtesy
Jennifer Granholm

The 2012 election season saw another source of speculation and analysis added to the universe of political talk shows Monday with the premiere of “The War Room with Jennifer Granholm.”

Former governor of Michigan and UC Berkeley lecturer Jennifer Granholm will appear weeknights at 9 p.m. after Countdown with Keith Olbermann on Current TV. The show entails political analysis fused with pre-prepared segments that highlight different aspects of the upcoming presidential election.

Gov. Jerry Brown will appear on the program Wednesday, according to a press release from the governor’s office Tuesday.

In the first half of  Monday’s show, New York Times analyst Nate Silver predicted a likely victory for Mitt Romney in the Florida GOP primary elections.

Then, in a prerecorded interview during the latter half of the program, Massachusetts Democratic Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren discussed campaign finance and urged members of Congress to relinquish any stock they may own before taking office.

Granholm also spent some time chatting with Newt Gingrich’s Florida campaign co-chair Bill McCollum, who reiterated that the candidate has no plans of quitting the race.

Former White House press secretary Robert Gibbs also made an appearance, and Granholm took the audience on a prerecorded tour of President Barack Obama’s campaign headquarters in Chicago.

Unlike similar news shows that air once a week, “The War Room” airs five times a week, presenting a much greater challenge to incorporate new material.

Despite the time requirement the show presents, Granholm will continue to teach at the UC Berkeley School of Law and the Goldman School of Public Policy.

The show could help Granholm to better her teaching in the classroom, according to Steven Weissman, associate director for the Center for Law, Energy and the Environment at the law school.

Weissman, who is teaching a class on renewable energy and clean technology policy with Granholm, said “the class is very much about energy policy in the current political context. The show helps because she is able to engage with prominent political actors each day.”