The Magic of Ballet: SF Ballet kicks off 2012 season

San Francisco Ballet/Courtesy

Nothing beats the magic of ballet. The thrill of classical music, the allure of romantic tales and eye-catching costumes, all intertwined with the most skillful, graceful and dramatic dance form. Going to the ballet is like experiencing aesthetic poetry set to music. And that is not to mention the exorbitant amounts of class involved.Fortunately, the 2012 season of San Francisco Ballet has fully kicked off this past weekend with a production of the Russian ballet “Onegin” (the season officially began in December, but let’s face it, no one cares about “The Nutcracker”). An adaptation of Alexander Pushkin’s 19th century novel in verse, this ballet is a tasteful opener to what promises to be a very strong season. Beyond “Onegin,” the 2012 season will see productions of “Romeo & Juliet” and “Don Quixote,” as well as a promising set of programs (performances consisting of three short pieces).

So whether you’re a fan of ballet or have never been to one before, a night at the ballet this season is definitely worth experiencing. The San Francisco Ballet, boasting world-class dancers and critically acclaimed performances, is sure to impress. And you won’t even have to break the bank: student rush tickets are available the day of shows for only 10 to 20 dollars.