Agenda for Feb. 8 ASUC Senate meeting

At the ASUC Senate’s third spring semester meeting Wednesday, a new bill aiming to reduce food waste on campus will be introduced, and the senate will also consider passing a bill in support of affirmative action.

The Day of Action bill — which was first introduced at last week’s senate meeting — passed at Monday’s finance committee meeting and is up for vote at tonight’s senate meeting. The bill would support reinstating affirmative action and overturning California Proposition 209, which prohibits affirmative action in admission to public institutions.

The bill — which was authored by CalSERVE Senators Sydney Fang and Kevin Williams — requests allocating $396.41 to send students to hold demonstrations in support of affirmative action at the San Francisco-based 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals on Feb. 13, according to ASUC Finance Officer Victor Chen. The court will consider arguments in favor of overturning the proposition.

Additionally, a new bill which will be introduced in the senate’s new business in an effort to continue the ASUC’s past support of lowering waste on the campus.

The Zero Food Waste bill expresses support for the efforts of three campus organizations to give all “healthy excess food” to food redistribution organizations.

The senate previously voted unanimously in favor of a bill supporting “Take Back the Tap” — a national campaign promoting increased use of tap water run by the nonprofit Food & Water Watch.

Per usual process, the bills introduced at Wednesday’s meeting will be passed on to committee for further discussion and will likely be considered by the entire senate at a future meeting.

Chloe Hunt is the lead student government reporter.