This Week in Sound: 2012 Grammys Edition

Grammy Awards/Courtesy

So guys, about last night…
Yup, the Grammys have come and gone once again this year. We got to see everything from the dance party led by David Guetta and Deadmau5 to the Beach Boys reunion performance, to Chris Brown dancing around on stage with some flying squirrels — I mean backup dancers.

But let’s face it, the winners were predictable as usual. Adele swept up a plethora of awards including Album of the Year, Record of the Year and Song of the Year. Kanye West won for Best Rap Album among other rap-related Grammy wins (no conflicts with Taylor Swift this time). The Foo Fighters won basically every rock category there was, as Dave Grohl and company proudly accepted the awards for an album that was recorded old-school style in Grohl’s garage on tape. The album itself is definitely one of the best that the band has put out since The Colour and the Shape, and the group remains as one of the few mainstream rock acts that stick to the old formula of guitar bass and drums. That being said, it felt a little hypocritical that the Foo Fighters performed with Deadmau5 for a remix of their single “Rope” after they had just spoke about taking pride in the fact that true rock comes without the help of computers.

There were some surprises, though. Bon Iver beat Nicki Minaj for Best New Artist (although his first album was in 2007) and Lady Antebellum beat Taylor Swift for Best Country Album. However, only two instances of surprise didn’t make up for an evening of predictability. Some other wins that didn’t get airtime were breakout DJ Skrillex taking home multiple Grammys including Best Dance Record, Louis C.K. snagging Best Comedy Album and Corinne Bailey Rae winning best R&B performance.

As far as performances go, the tributes to the late Whitney Houston and Etta James were beautifully sung by Jennifer Hudson and the duo of Alicia Keys and Bonnie Raitt respectively. Performances by Bruce Springsteen, Foo Fighters, and Paul McCartney were all noteworthy, especially the guitar-gasam of a finale with Springsteen, McCartney, Grohl and Joe Walsh of the Eagles all coming out to play some Beatles jams. And then of course there were some unfavorable performances. There was the deranged and irritating “exorcism” performance from Nicki Minaj, Maroon 5 and Foster the People butchering Beach Boys classics and the Tetris-block dance-capade from Chris Brown. We’ll just say they weren’t exactly highlights of the show.

Although we didn’t get to cover everything, what did you guys think about the Grammy Awards? Complaints, comments, concerns? Before we get to that, though, it’s time for this week’s

Local Limelight:
Joe Barham/Courtesy

This week’s band is the dirty blues rock band known as the Stone Foxes. The Foxes have made some noticeable headlines as a local SF band. From using their song in the Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Honey Whiskey commercial, to being in Live 105’s top 5 local bands, to packing an entire field full for their performance at last year’s Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival, the Foxes have been steadily rising in popularity. A mixture of syncopated rock with some old fashioned grit thrown in, the band truly captures the essence of rock. Tracks like the riff-heavy “Patience” or the sing-along jam “Stomp” show the group’s roots in the underbelly of vintage rock. Others like “I Killed Robert Johnson” portray a vivid country story accompanied by a swanky guitar and thumpin’ drums.

Here’s “Mr. Hangman,” a track where the guitar takes the sideline and lets the harmonica take center stage. Before you bash it, give it a listen, cause I’d like to hear a recent band make harmonica sound as badass as they do.

What do you guys think of this week’s local band?