State of the Art: First Edition

Gustavo Sanabria/Courtesy

Whether thousands of miles away or right in our backyards, the art world is constantly abuzz with news, events, openings and innovations. Each week I will bring you some of the week’s highlights from Abroad, US, San Francisco, East Bay and the Campus Area. Welcome to State of the Art.

Abroad: “Drinking Water Running Through The Streets” in Madrid

For a few hours in the middle of the night, hundreds of glass bottles were filled with light bulbs and strung on four unused fountains to look like flowing water. The temporary structures are aesthetically breathtaking, and make a powerful statement criticizing the neglect to repair numerous public drinking fountains that are no longer functional. The photographs of the project are equally stunning.

US: Dictator Valentines by Ben Kling

Even though it’s a day late, I couldn’t resist with these Dictator Valentines. Made by illustrator Ben Kling, these little notes are adorable, hilarious and slightly offensive. Check out the Hitler one below, or the entire collection.

Ben Kling/Courtesy

San Francisco: Cut & Paste Design Competition

Digital design battle royale, Cut & Paste, comes to the Mezzanine in San Francisco tomorrow night (2/16). Armed with 2D, 3D, and Motion/Animation, competitors will fight for a spot in the upcoming Global Championship. Audience members will get to take part in the actions with challenges presented by HP and Adobe. The website has more information.

Cut & Paste/Courtesy

East Bay: “In Between” at Old Crow Tattoo and Gallery

A new show, “In Between” just opened at Oakland’s Old Crow Tattoo and Gallery last week. The show features a mixed-media installation by artists Nicholas Mann, Brett Flanigan, Craig Rodgers and Dan Bortz. I will be checking it out later this week, so stay tuned for a full-length review.

John Felix Arnold III/Courtesy

Campus Area: Occupy Valentine’s Day

Occupy protesters on the steps of Doe wish Cal a Happy Valentines Day… with free hugs and a giant papier mache mushroom.

Anna Carey/Staff